PHILADELPHIA -- When Daniel Zamora jogged out of the Mets' bullpen for the first time in Friday's 4-2 loss to the Phillies, he became the franchise-record-tying 54th player the Mets used this season. Moving another player through their roster turnstile, the Mets called up the left-handed Zamora from Double-A Binghamton
PHILADELPHIA -- When Daniel Zamora jogged out of the Mets' bullpen for the first time in Friday's 4-2 loss to the Phillies, he became the franchise-record-tying 54th player the Mets used this season. Moving another player through their roster turnstile, the Mets called up the left-handed Zamora from Double-A Binghamton earlier Friday for his big league debut.
To make room for Zamora, the Mets placed fellow reliever Bobby Wahl on the disabled list with a right hamstring strain. Zamora, 25, posted a 3.48 ERA with two saves in 40 games for Binghamton, after the team acquired him for lefty Josh Smoker in January.
"I'm just trying to throw strikes, and compete and go after guys," said Zamora, who struck out two of the four Phillies he faced in his debut, also walking a batter and inducing a double play. "That's the main thing I do. As long as I throw strikes and get ahead, I'm usually pretty successful."
Following Zamora's final game at Binghamton, manager Luis Rojas called him to break the news, asking if the left-hander's pregnant wife could meet him in Philadelphia. (She could not, but Zamora's parents and other friends did.)
That break comes at the expense of Wahl, one of two players the Mets received from the A's last month for Jeurys Familia. Wahl's injury occurred in his seventh appearance with the Mets, as he fielded a bunt in Game 2 of Thursday's doubleheader against the Phillies.
"I honestly don't know," Wahl said when asked if he believes the rest of his season is in jeopardy. "I'm just going to take it a day at a time, and hopefully I can get back out there. At the end of the day, that's what I want to do. I'm here to pitch."
The Mets set their original franchise record for players in a season with 54 in 1967. They stand a strong chance of breaking that mark by September, when they expect a wave of callups.
Outfielder Brandon Nimmo received another dose of good news Friday, when an MRI revealed no structural damage in his left hand. X-rays taken on the hand Thursday revealed nothing amiss after a Ranger Suarez fastball struck Nimmo on his left index finger, but the Mets sent him for an MRI to make sure the initial tests did not overlook any small fractures.
Although Nimmo was out of Friday's starting lineup, he could return as soon as Saturday.
"It was just a blow to the index finger," Mets manager Mickey Callaway said, "and he's going to be able to play as tolerated."
Mets officials continue to hint that the club's second-ranked prospect Peter Alonso is unlikely to be called up before the end of the season. Though the Mets could add Alonso when rosters expand in September, that would force them to put him on the 40-man roster earlier than necessary. The team is wary of doing so after losing Chasen Bradford and Matt Reynolds to waiver claims due to a roster jam last winter, and being forced to trade Smoker.
Offensively, Alonso has nothing left to prove in the Minors, where he is batting .283 with 30 home runs and a .962 OPS in 116 games split between the organization's two top levels. Although the Mets still want Alonso to demonstrate improvement at first base, they recently named him their Triple-A Las Vegas Defensive Player of the Month.
One first baseman who should earn a callup down the stretch is Dominic Smith. But the Mets are currently using Wilmer Flores and Jose Bautista at first base in the big leagues instead of Smith, preferring to have the latter receive outfield reps every day at Triple-A. Smith has just six home runs in 77 games at Las Vegas.
Despite making headlines earlier this week due to his bat -- he recorded his first career hit and RBI during Thursday's 24-4 rout of the Phillies -- Jerry Blevins has also been one of the Mets' most valuable relievers in August. Entering Friday's play, he had strung together 11 consecutive scoreless appearances, holding opposing hitters to a .301 OPS over that stretch.
A source said the Mets have been in touch with multiple teams regarding a potential trade of Blevins, who can be moved if he clears waivers. But a rival evaluator said the Mets would be unlikely to receive anything more than salary relief in return for Blevins, who is making $7 million and can be a free agent after the season.
Anthony DiComo has covered the Mets for MLB.com since 2007. Follow him on Twitter @AnthonyDiComo, Instagram and Facebook.