Citizens, Philabundance, and Phillies, along with Aaron Nola, announce plans for 2023 Phans Feeding Families campaign
Citizens kicks off food drive with $50,000 contribution; details of Phans Feeding Families game on June 24 revealed
PHILADELPHIA – Citizens, Philabundance and the Philadelphia Phillies today announced plans for the 2023 Phans Feeding Families campaign to support hunger relief efforts in the Philadelphia region. Leaders from the three organizations gathered to share ways for Phillies fans and the greater community to rally and show support during the campaign.
Citizens made a $50,000 contribution to kick off this year’s food drive, underscoring the organization’s continued support of Philabundance and their mission. The donation will provide up to 100,000 meals to individuals and families in need.
“We’re honored to support the Phans Feeding Families campaign once again this year, and we’re thankful to our partners in this effort to raise awareness for the vital cause of alleviating hunger,” said Dan Fitzpatrick, Mid-Atlantic President, Citizens. “We invite the public to join us in raising funds to help our neighbors in need.”
Supporters of this year’s campaign can get involved in the following ways:
- Donate to the Phans Feeding Families Food Drive.
- Supporters can virtually donate Philabundance’s most-needed food items, such as rice, peanut butter, or vegetables by visiting the donation page or by texting PHANSFEED to 44-321.
- Supporters can choose to donate from as little as one dollar to $1,000 or more.
- Food donations will also be accepted in person at Phans Feeding Families Day on June 24 at Citizens Bank Park.
- Bid on nearly two dozen new team-issued and game-used autographed memorabilia during the Phillies Charities, Inc. Auction benefitting Philabundance, which will be online at phillies.com/auctions from June 5-26.
- Auction items include baseballs, jerseys, batting helmets, caps, a pitching rubber and more signed by manager Rob Thomson and players such as Aaron Nola, Alec Bohm, Nick Castellanos, Bryce Harper, Rhys Hoskins, J.T. Realmuto, Kyle Schwarber, Bryson Stott and Zack Wheeler. Fans are also invited to stop by the First Base Gate during Phans Feeding Families Day on June 24 to see the items in person.
- Take part in the Phans Feeding Families Night & Food Drive, Saturday, June 24 when the Phillies take on the New York Mets at 4:05 p.m. at Citizens Bank Park.
- Purchase a Phans Feeding Families Theme Night Ticket, with $4 per ticket going back to the cause.
- Bring a donation of non-perishable food at the entrance gates. Recommended items include plastic jars of peanut butter and jelly, canned tuna, and pasta.
- Stop by the Third Base Plaza to digitally purchase food for the cause, courtesy of The GIANT Company, who will also be on site with fan giveaways. Those who donate will also have the chance to meet 1993 National League Champion Mickey Morandini.
- Additionally, fans can participate in the Phillies Charities 50/50 Drawing during the June 21 game against the Atlanta Braves, in which a portion of the proceeds will benefit Philabundance.
- Follow Philabundance on social media.
- Share Phans Feeding Families social posts with your personal networks.
- Spread awareness to fight hunger using #PhansFeed on social media.
Philabundance has long played a critical role in Greater Philadelphia as it works to end hunger for good. The organization serves over 135,000 people each week – a number that continues to grow as families deal with the ending of the Covid-19 SNAP Emergency Allotments and the rising costs of basic necessities, such as housing and food.
“Your generous donations to Philabundance will help us provide more of our neighbors in need with food to feed their families. We believe that no one should go hungry and are thankful for this opportunity to partner with Citizens and the Philadelphia Phillies to provide meals to the community,” said Loree Jones Brown, CEO of Philabundance. “Our city and region have seen hunger increase dramatically as families deal with the rising costs of necessities such as food and housing. Philabundance has met the need because of the incredible generosity of our donors, volunteers, and partners. We are so happy to be here today to kick off the Phans Feeding Families campaign with Citizens and the Phillies.”
At the press conference, a new Phans Feeding Families PSA was debuted, featuring Phillies All-Star and Phans ambassador Aaron Nola.
“The hunger crisis in our community is heartbreaking,” said Jackie Cuddeback, Phillies Senior Vice President, Partnership Sales & Corporate Marketing. “With more than 135,000 individuals each week relying on Philabundance for their next meal, the Phans Feeding Families initiative is more important than ever. We look forward to teaming up with Citizens, Aaron Nola, our sponsors and fans to support Philabundance and their vital hunger relief efforts.”
In addition to the Phillies and Citizens, Aramark, Campbells, The GIANT Company, Goya Foods, Hatfield Quality Meats, KPMG, SEPTA and Tri-State Toyota Dealers are supporting Philabundance as partners in the 2023 campaign.
Since Phans Feeding Families began in 2011, the campaign has raised more than $550,000 for hunger relief efforts. To date, with fan support of funds and food, more than one million meals have been provided to families in need.