Join us for 2019 Opening Day, scheduled for 3:10 pm on Thursday, March 28 versus division rival Cleveland Indians at Target Field. Opening Day will be preceded by a day-long celebration of baseball with festivities in and around Target Field.
The first 30,000 fans in attendance will receive a Twins puffer vest (adult sizes M/XL) presented by your local Northland Ford dealers. Fans are encouraged to arrive early with Target Field gates opening at 1 pm (2 hours before first pitch).
Schedule of Events
- 6 to 9 am - Breakfast on the Plaza - Fans are invited to drive, walk or bike down 7th Street (adjacent to the Majestic Twins Clubhouse Store) and grab a free ballpark breakfast. Free food and beverages will be available, courtesy of Twins partners Schweigert™, Sheboygan, Caribou Coffee, Chick-Fil-A, Fisher Nuts, Old Dutch, Mauer Sports Nutrition and Pepsi. Additionally, fans will be able to take photos, enter to win tickets, receive gift cards from Supercuts and hear a live broadcast of the WCCO Morning News with Dave Lee.
- 1:00 pm - Gates open - Twins legends Tony Oliva and Kent Hrbek will open their namesake ballpark entrances, joining Casey Killebrew (Harmon's grandson) at Gate #3 and franchise icon Tom Kelly at Gate 29, along with Kirby Puckett, Jr. and Catherine Puckett at Gate 34, to assist in officially opening the Target Field gates and welcoming fans for the 2019 season.
- Local vendors in the food, beverage and retail space, all hailing from throughout Twins Territory, highlight the opening of the new Gate 34 Experience.
- The National Anthem will be Minneapolis songwriter and performer Sean Tillman (aka Har Mar Superstar).
- The ceremonial first pitch will be thrown by 2006 American League MVP, four-time All-Star and current FSN analyst Justin Morneau.
- A flyover will feature two F-16s from the Minnesota Air National Guard's 148th Fighter Wing, based out of Duluth.
On-field pregame ceremony will include, in this order:
- Both teams will be introduced along the foul lines.
- A giant American flag will be unfurled by Twins Season Ticket Holders.
- World War II veteran and centenarian Lawrence Cline of Alexandria, Minnesota will raise the American Flag.
- The Twins Territory flag will be raised by John Griffith, a Twins Season Ticket Holder since Target Field's inaugural 2010 season. John, who was previously with Target, helped design and build Target Plaza, while he was also involved in the lobbying effort to successfully build the ballpark. John is currently the head of real estate for Lifetime Athletic, and resides in Maple Grove with his wife and their three children.
- Peter McLaughlin will raise the Hennepin County flag. During his 27 years and seven terms as County 4 Commissioner, McLaughlin was a leading advocate for the construction of Target Field, successfully lobbied for light rail transit funding and the subsequent METRO Blue Line in 2004, and pushed to consolidate the region's libraries, build Minneapolis' Midtown Greenway bike path and change the name of Lake Calhoun to Bde Maka Ska, among other accomplishments. He also served three terms in the Minnesota Legislature, rising to Assistant House Majority Leader.
In-game elements include:
- "God Bless America" will be performed by SPC Daniel Heck. A native Minnesotan and lifelong Twins fan, Specialist Heck has served in the Minnesota National Guard's 34th Infantry Division "Red Bull" Band since 2015. He recently returned from Kuwait, where the Red Bull Band performed for deployed troops and partnered to teach and perform at a school. Specialist Heck is currently enrolled at St. Cloud State University, where he majors in Music.