Target Field Ground Rules
Universal Ground Rules
The Commissioner's Office has issued the following Universal Ground Rules for use in all Major League ballparks this season. Ground Rules pertaining to individual parks are posted separately in those parks.
- Ball on the top step (lip) of the dugout is in play.No equipment is permitted to be left on the top step (lip) of the dugout. If a ball hits equipment left on the top step it is dead.
- A player is not permitted to step or go into a dugout to make a catch. A player is permitted to reach into a dugout to make a catch. If a player makes a catch outside the dugout and the player's momentum carries him into the dugout, then the catch is allowed and the ball is dead. See Rule 5.09(a)(1) Comment.
- A batted ball in flight can be caught between or under railings and around screens.
- A catch may be made on the field tarp.
- Batted or thrown ball lodging in the rotating signage behind home plate or along first base or third base stands is out of play.Batted or thrown ball resting on the rotating signage behind home plate or along first base or third base stands is in play.
- The facings of railings surrounding the dugout and photographers areas are in play.Any cameras or microphones permanently attached on railings or along outfield walls are treated as part of the railings or outfield walls and are in play.
- Any recessed railings or poles that are in the dugout and photographers areas are out of play and should be marked with red to mark them out of play.
- Robotic cameras or audio equipment attached to the facing of the backstop screen are considered part of the screen.A batted ball striking the backstop camera or audio equipment is considered a dead ball.
- A thrown ball striking the backstop camera or audio equipment is considered in play.
- A ball striking the guy wires that support the backstop is a dead ball.
- A ball lodging behind or under canvas on field tarp is out of play.
- A ball striking the field tarp and rebounding onto the playing field is in play.
- No chairs can be brought out of the dugout or bullpen and onto the playing field.
- All yellow lines are in play.
Dugouts and Camera Wells
- All railings in front of the dugouts and camera/photographers' wells are in play.
- Fair bounding ball striking the limestone wall and caroming back onto the playing field: In Play.
- Fair bounding ball striking the limestone wall and entering the stands: Two Bases.
- Railings on the upward sloping walls in foul territory in the LF and RF corners are in play.
- Batted ball in flight striking facing of the second deck/ribbon boards: Home Run.
- Batted ball in flight striking right field wall and going out of play in foul territory: Two bases.
- Batted ball in flight striking right field wall and going out of play in fair territory: Home Run.
- Batted ball in flight striking lower section of outfield wall in front of the bullpens and caroming over higher outfield wall: Two Bases.
- Batted ball in flight striking the top of the out-of-town scoreboard on the right-center field wall and caroming over higher outfield wall: Two Bases.
- Batted ball in flight striking the top of the limestone wall on the right field overlook: Home Run.
Inside Target Field