MESA, Ariz. -- The Cubs have had a very businesslike camp to this point in the spring as they build toward what the ballclub expects will be a season with another October run at the end. On Friday, Chicago will turn the page from just workouts to the first game action of 2026.
The Cubs are set to host the rival White Sox at 2:05 p.m. CT at Sloan Park in a Cactus League opener that will be aired on MLB.TV, Marquee Sports Network and The Score (104.3 FM). Cubs manager Craig Counsell noted that righty Jameson Taillon would start and Seiya Suzuki would be among the regulars in the lineup.
“The first game, it’s fun,” Counsell said. “Everybody looks forward to the stadium with a lot of people in it. The games here at Sloan Park are great and fun. Absolutely, we’re looking forward to it.”
This spring, there is little drama in terms of roster battles for a Cubs team that returns the bulk of last year’s group. Here’s a breakdown of the few jobs that are up for grabs as Cactus League games begin:
1. The final bullpen spot
Contenders: Javier Assad, Ben Brown, Porter Hodge, Corbin Martin (non-roster), Collin Snider (non-roster), Jordan Wicks, others
The Cubs overhauled their bullpen over the winter, but seven of the eight jobs look set as things currently stand. Newcomers Phil Maton, Hoby Milner, Hunter Harvey and Jacob Webb have spots, along with returnees Caleb Thielbar and Daniel Palencia. With the rotation set at the moment, veteran Colin Rea looks like he will have a relief job as well.
There is a long list of names, both from the 40-man roster and within the pool of non-roster invites, that will be under consideration for the last vacancy. Hodge was a key part of the ‘24 cast before injuries and command issues hurt him last year, but he is an intriguing option. Assad, Brown and Wicks are rotation depth, but they could push for relief jobs with a strong spring.
No matter how the Opening Day bullpen shakes out, this is an area in which depth becomes key throughout the year. And the Cubs like the pool of options they have at this point.
“Bullpens change,” Counsell said. “All the guys are important from that perspective, because things change really fast in that world and you have to be prepared for it. And we have to, as a pitching group, develop everybody to see where it goes. You want as many -- however you want to say it -- candidates, projects, options as you can, because you know that you’ll have to provide answers there.”
2. The fourth outfield job
Contenders: Kevin Alcántara, Dylan Carlson (non-roster), Justin Dean, Chas McCormick (non-roster)
The Cubs’ outfield is locked in with four-time Gold Glove Ian Happ in left, All-Star and Gold Glove winner Pete Crow-Armstrong in center and slugger Seiya Suzuki in right. What Chicago has to solve is who will offer a backup plan behind that trio.
Matt Shaw is a reserve at multiple infield spots, but he is also going to get action as an outfielder this spring in preparation for a super-sub role. Besides him, the Cubs are considering Alcántara and Dean from the 40-man roster and taking a close look at two non-roster veterans in Carlson and McCormick.
“I think we’ve got a good plan there,” Counsell said. “We’ll see kind of how that unfolds, but I like our candidates. I really do.”
3. Last position-player spot
Contenders: Moisés Ballesteros, others
In all likelihood, a position-player slot will go to Moisés Ballesteros, who projects to get a lot of at-bats as a DH and can help as a third-string catcher. As of Thursday, though, Ballesteros (a native of Venezuela) was still absent due to visa issues. It has been an unfortunate delay for the Cubs’ top prospect (No. 55 on the Top 100) at the start of an important camp.
That said, Counsell was hopeful that Ballesteros -- who impressed the Cubs in his MLB stints last year (.868 OPS in 20 games) -- would arrive in Arizona soon. With more than a month left until Opening Day, this delay should not really impact Ballesteros’ chances.
“We’re optimistic right now that he’s going to be here shortly,” Counsell said. “If that should happen, I think we’re in a good place. He’s going to be behind in terms of when you see him in a game, but with kind of the normal Spring Training schedule, I feel confident in the number of games we’re looking at here.”
