A graduate of Hamilton High School...was drafted in the fourth round of the 1994 June draft...signed by Dodgers scout Carl Loewenstine...married to Tracey.
Combined to go 2-2, 6.45 in 43 relief apps for the Astros and Padres...began the season in Hou,
made 16 apps there and 2 apps at Class AAA New Orleans before he was designated for assignment on 6/17...the
next day was claimed off waivers by SD...overall, 12 times threw 2.0 innings in an outing...posted a 1.59era in his last
9g for the Astros...from 5/14-5/29 didn't allow a run over 6 consecutive apps (6.1ip)...elected free agency on 10/8 and
signed a minor league contract with the Reds on 11/1.
- Completed the season 6-4 with one save and a 3.69 ERA (34ER/83IP) over 65 relief appearances.
- tied his season high by allowing four earned runs over 1.1 innings...allowed a grand slam (Alfonzo) on Sept. 23 vs. San
- posted a 2.41 ERA (9ER/33.2IP) in 27 appearances from July 5 - Sept. 23...pitched 8.1 scoreless innings from Aug. 2-17.
- suffered his fourth loss of the season on July 29 at Atlanta, allowing three runs...ended a streak of 13 consecutive score-less
innings over his previous nine appearances.
- tossed a career-high tying three innings of relief on July 10 vs. Cincinnati, striking out a season-high four batters with no
runs...collected his first save of the season (second career).
- suffered the loss and allowed two hits and two runs in the 11th inning on July 2 vs. Milwaukee.
- earned his fifth win of the year with a scoreless 10th inning on July 1 vs. Milwaukee.
- allowed a season-high six hits and four earned runs on June 24 at Arizona...alowed seven runs in three appearances from
June 21-27, raising his ERA from 2.95 to 3.96.
- tied his season high by allowing three earned runs (fourth time) on June 21 at Texas.
- tied his career high with three innings pitched and suffered the loss by allowing one run on June 13 at Boston.
- suffered his first loss in five decisions on May 31, allowing an unearned run in the 16th inning at Wrigley Field in a 1-0
- stranded two runners in the sixth inning en route to 2.1 scoreless innings on May 28 at St. Louis.
- pitched a career-high three innings of relief on May 25 vs. the Cubs.
- missed games on May 24-25 to be with his wife Tracey, who gave birth to the couplebs first child, Lily Marie, born at 12:47
p.m. on May 24 at The Methodist Hospital.
- allowed a run in only one of his first 18 appearances from April 1-May 15.
- pitched 10.2 consecutive scoreless innings in nine outings from April 29-May 15...streak ended with three runs in two
innings on May 17 vs. Philadelphia...allowed a run on May 22 in his next game vs. Chicago.
- began the season by pitching 12 scoreless innings over his first eight games.
- pitched a scoreless inning on April 12 vs. St. Louis...left the game with a bruised middle toe on his right foot after being hit
by a ball hit back to the mound.
One of the National League's top rookies in 2002, he finished his first full season in the Majors 3-3 with a 3.61 ERA (31ER/77.1IP)...allowed 78 hits while walking 34 and striking out 63...also recorded one save.
- set Houston rookie record with his 62nd appearance on Aug. 18 at Cincinnati...led all big league rookies with 78 appearances, tying the National League record set by Montreal's Tim Burke in 1985.
- named 2002 Astros Rookie of the Year by Houston chapter of the BBWAA.
- his 78 appearances also ranked fifth on the franchise's single-season list and placed him sixth among all NL pitchers in 2002.
- posted seven consecutive scoreless outings (5.2IP) from Sept. 6-22.
- tied his career high with 2.2 innings of work on Aug. 27 against San Diego...worked two scoreless innings on Aug. 8 at Minute Maid Park against the Marlins, fanning three batters.
- earned first big league save on Aug. 14 at Wrigley Field, striking out two batters in one inning.
- pitched career-high 2.2 innings and struck out career-best five hitters on June 8 at Oakland.
- posted a 1.20 ERA (2ER/15 IP) over 14 appearances in June.
- recorded an 0.50 ERA (1ER/18.0IP) from May 7-June 17, allowing an earned run in only one of 18 appearances.
- pitched 9.2 consecutive scoreless innings over eight appearances from May 25-June 11.
- allowed four runs in 16.2 innings pitched in April (2.16 ERA).
- recorded a 1.69 ERA (2ER/10.2IP) over his first 11 appearances of the season.
- suffered first big league loss on April 13 at St. Louis.
- won his first Major League game with two scoreless frames in a 12-inning, 7-6 win over the Cardinals on April 7.
Tossed 5.1 scoreless innings in the Majors before allowing his first runs on a two-run home run by Marvin Benard on 10/4.
Pitched a scoreless ninth inning in his Major League debut on 9/21.
Pitched a scoreless sixth on 9/23 vs. Chicago.
Contract was purchased from New Orleans on 9/20.
Went 6-3 with a 3.59 ERA (38 ER/95.1 IP) for the Zephyrs in 2001, allowing 98 hits and walking 27 while striking out 78 in 51 appearances (eight starts).