The New York Mets Foundation and GrowNYC teamed up for Eat Smart with the Mets, a nutrition program that encourages healthy eating and provides nutritional knowledge for young students. GrowNYC's Seed to Plate Program tells the story of local food and why it's important for our bodies, the environment, and our community, inspiring healthy food choices and environmental leaders.
The Seed to Plate program will offer ten lesson plans for the participating schools that will include field trips to local greenmarkets, exploring local farms, cooking lessons, and focus on the importance of a balanced diet.
- Lesson 1 - Welcome to Seed to Plate
- Lesson 2 - Field Trip: Welcome to the Greenmarket!
- Lesson 3 - Local & Seasonal Foods: Exploring Farms of the Northeast
- Lesson 4 - Eat a Rainbow!
- Lesson 5 - Sustainable vs. Industrial Farming
- Lesson 6 - Meet Your Farmer Classroom Visit
- Lesson 7 - What's the Story of Food?
- Lesson 8 - Field Trip: A Day on the Farm
- Lesson 9 - Now we're Cooking! Farm Fresh Cooking
- Lesson 10 - Students Taking Action: Think Globally Eat Locally
The Mets and GrowNYC are proud to have partnered with the following four schools:
- East Elmhurst Community School - Queens, NY
- PS 14Q - Queens, NY
- PS 115K - Brooklyn, NY
- Cultural Arts Academy at Spring Creek - Brooklyn, NY