The New York Mets and Delta Air Lines partnered on the Ya Gotta Read! program to help foster a love of reading in students.
Ya Gotta Read! launched in February to coincide with the start of Mets Spring Training and lasts for six weeks. The goal is for students to read 20 minutes every weeknight during the program. After students finish a book, they will answer a reflective question and hand it in to their teacher. The more books students read, the more Mets-themed prizes they will earn!
Students use a reading log to keep track of their minutes read, and use a baseball-themed scorecard to keep track of prizes:
- 60 Minutes = Single. Reward: Mets Glow in the Dark Bracelet
- 180 Minutes = Double. Reward: Mets Wet Erase Board
- 300 Minutes = Triple. Reward: Mets Drawstring Bag
- 600 Minutes = Home Run. Reward: 2 Mets tickets
In addition, the student at each school who reads for the most minutes will win four Field Level tickets to a Mets game, be honored on the field during a pre-game ceremony and receive a $100 Citi Field Gift Card! The class at each school that has the highest total number of minutes read will win a pizza party with Mr. Met!
For 2019, the Mets and Delta are proud to have partnered with the following schools:
- P.S. 13 Clemente C. Moore
- P.S. 19 Marino Jeantet
- P.S. 22 Thomas Jefferson School
- P.S. 48 William Wordsworth
- P.S. 69 The School of Cultural and Performing Arts
- P.S. 148
- P.S. 191 Paul Robeson
- P.S. 214 Cadwallader Colden
- P.S. 219 Paul Klapper
- P.S. 307 Pioneer Academy
Since its inception, more than 13,800 students have participated in Ya Gotta Read!
For more information, or if you would like to learn how your school can participate in 2019, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 718-565-4321.