• The Rays had a short workout Monday due to the club's annual charity golf tournament held at the Ritz-Carlton Members Golf Club in Bradenton, Fla. Players and coaches teamed with groups of Rays corporate sponsors to benefit the Rays Baseball Foundation.
• Righty Jeremy Hellickson smiled at teammates lamenting about the cold Monday. Early Monday morning, the temperature in Port Charlotte was in the high 30s. Hellickson, an Iowa native, said the coldest weather he remembered experiencing at home was "20 below zero."
• Reigning American League Cy Young Award winner David Price was one of the pitchers throwing to hitters in the Monday's blustery conditions. When asked if he had any sympathy for his teammates, Price replied: "Not one bit."
• Manager Joe Maddon cited righty Jeff Niemann for throwing "really well" on Monday. Righty Joel Peralta, who has been slowed by a stiff neck, pitched on Monday. While he reported that his neck still bothers him some, he felt like was to a point where he could work through it.
• Speaking of Peralta, he felt good enough Monday to dance with closer Fernando Rodney in the clubhouse to a Latin beat after the workout. Rodney finished the number by executing one of his imaginary arrow shots in the sky. For the record, Rodney allowed Peralta to lead.