• The Bucs' lineup for Saturday's Grapefruit League opener in Port Charlotte against the Rays:
Marte LF; Presley CF; Snider RF; Jones 1B; Alvarez 3B; Hawpe DH; McKenry C; Harrison 2B; d'Arnaud SS; Locke P.
Andrew McCutchen, Neil Walker and the new man, Russell Martin, are anticipated to make their spring debuts on Sunday, when the Pirates host the Braves in their first home exhibition in McKechnie Field.
• Starling Marte christened McKechnie Field's new left-field bleachers Friday by jacking a two-run homer clear over them, then gave everyone a start by staying down a few seconds after launching into a full-body dive for a Brandon Inge liner.
Hurdle shrugged off the reckless play. "You let 'em play the game. He got a good break, laid out, and almost came up with it. Then he hits a ball over the left-field bleachers. You saw again why you like the guy."
The other squad's runs came on a Lucas May single and Alex Presley sacrifice fly.
• Pirates players spending their first morning in the new tricked-out McKechnie Field were blown away by the improvements to their training conditions, which include a greatly-expanded indoor batting area, an agility field for conditioning and a bullpen moved from foul territory in the right-field corner to behind the right-center wall and under the new boardwalk.
• Seeing Tony Watson do the "Jared Jaunt" -- impersonating the intense manner Jared Hughes first approaches the mound when he enters the game -- gets any morning off to a giddy start.
• A.J. Burnett spent the morning "editing" the daily agenda posted on the clubhouse bulletin board, such as crossing out "Active Warmup" and replacing it with "Stretching."
"Why don't we just call it what it is," Burnett said, with mock annoyance. "I'm changing it so I can understand it."