Abraham Nunez...single...signed by Arizona as a non-drafted free agent on August 22, 1996 at the age of 19.
Signed a minor league contract with SFG, and hit .279 with 19 doubles, 12 homers and 57 RBI in 78 games with
Fresno of the Triple-A Pacific Coast League...led the club with a .495 slugging percentage among players with at least
50 games played...batted .367 with RISP...belted a pair of 3-run homers August 16 at Salt Lake City to propel Fresno
to an 8-3 win...hit just .223 in 40 games before being suspended by Major League Baseball for 50 games for testing
positive for a performance enhancing substance in violation of the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment
Program...was reinstated on July 14 and subsequently placed on the Disabled List...after 6 rehab games in the
Arizona Summer League, rejoined Fresno on July 22...hit .375 with 5 homers and 26 RBI in 31 games from August 1
to the end of the season...played for Estrellas de Oriente of the Dominican Winter League following the season.
Led Tacoma of the Triple-A Pacific Coast League with 17 home runs and 86 RBI in 127 games after being claimed off
waivers from KCR on March 31...finished 3rd in SEA organization in RBI...ranked 5th in the PCL with 71 walks...batted
.345 with RISP...smacked a 2-run walk-off homer in 14th inning, June 15 vs. Portland (OR)...Tacoma won, 7-5.
Acquired from the Florida Marlins in exchange for pitcher Rudy Seanez on July
31...hit .172 (11-64) with 9 runs, 1 double, 1 triple, 1 HR and 5 RBI in 58 games
for the Florida Marlins...Hit .226 in 59 games for Kansas City with 9 doubles, 5 homers and 29 RBI...
combined to hit .214 (63-302) with 10 doubles, 6 homers and 34 RBI for
the season...Started in right ? eld and went 2-for-4 with a double, run scored and 2 RBI in
his KC debut vs. Cleveland on July 31...Hit his 1st home run as a Royal and his 1st career grand slam on Aug. 13 at
Oakland off Mark Mulder in the 6th inning...combined with John Buck for KC's
1st-ever 2 grand slam game...Recorded a career-best 7-game hitting streak from Aug. 10-17, hitting .276 with
1 HR and 6 RBI...Hit his 2nd career grand slam on Aug. 26 at Seattle..became just the 6th Royals
player to record 2 grand slams in a season...became the 39th player in Major
League history to hit 2 grand slams as a rookie...Homered in 3 straight games from Aug. 25-27 at Anahiem (1) and Seattle (2)...Recorded his 1st career 4-hit game on Aug. 31 vs. Detroit, going 4-for-5 with
3 runs scored...Hit his 1st inside-the-park home run on Sept. 17 at Cleveland...Hit .276 (43-156) with 7 doubles and 4 homers in his 1st 41 games for the
Royals...hit just .108 (7-65) in his last 18 games with 2 doubles, 1 home run
and 4 RBI.
- Combined to play in 67 games with Class A Jupiter and AAA Albuquerque... began the season with eight
games with Jupiter (.276, 2 RBI)... played 59 games with the Isotopes (.311, 11 HR, 38 RBI).
- Suffered a strained left hamstring in late February and missed the majority of spring training... returned to
action in a rehab assignment with Class A Jupiter... collected six hits in 12 at-bats with two doubles and a RBI
in three rehab games (May 3-5) before missing over a month due to a contusion and sprain to the left knee...
returned to game action with Jupiter on June 16 and went 2x17 (.118) with a double and RBI in five games
before joining AAA Albuquerque on June 24.
- Hit in 15 of his first 18 games with AAA Albuquerque, hitting .394 over that span (26x66), including a
season-best nine-game hitting streak (July 2-12, .412, 14x34)... drove in runs in a season-best five straight
games over the hit streak, from July 7-12.
- Homered in three straight games, August 7, 8 and 9 vs. New Orleans, going 6x14 (.429) with six RBI.
- Saw his season batting average dip to .324 over 14 games, July 19-August 1, as he hit .222 (10x45) over that
span... raised his batting average up 23 points over his next eight games, August 2-9, collecting hits in six
contests (all multi-hit games) and batting .433 (13x30) over those games.
- Collected nine stolen bases in 13 attempts, including six straight to end the season... had his lone multi-steal game on August 15 vs. Omaha (two SB).
- Had a season-high three hits five times, including consecutive games twice: July 10 and 11 vs. Memphis and
July 17 and 18 vs. Tacoma... also had three hits on August 2 vs. Memphis... had a season-best three RBI
three times: July 7 at Omaha, August 8 vs. New Orleans and August 17 vs. Omaha.
- Played 32 games (30 starts) in right field and 27 games (26 starts) in center... hit .318 in games played in
right field and .307 in games played in center.
- Hit .333 vs. left-handers and .305 vs. right-handers... posted a .321 batting average with runners in scoring
position and a .375 mark (3x8) with bases loaded.
- Hit .292 with 12 homers and 35 RBI in 50 games for Estrellas in the Dominican League during the offseason.
- played in 19 games in his Major League debut with the Marlins, hitting .118 with one RBI... recalled from AAA Calgary on September 1 after playing 129 games with the Cannons and hitting .250 with 24 doubles, five triples, 21 home runs and 60 RBI.
- made his debut in Game 1 of a September 3 doubleheader at New York... was an 8th inning pinch-runner for Kevin Millar and played left field in the ninth... had his first Major League at-bat in the 5th inning of Game 2 and struck out as a pinch-hitter.
- began his career hitless in his first seven at-bats before collecting his first Major League hit on September 20 at Atlanta in his first Big League start, playing center field... collected his first hit in the third inning, a RBI
single off LHP Damian Moss... added a sixth-inning single for his first Major League multi-hit game.
- made his second start, in center, on September 22 at Atlanta and went 0x3.
- overall, played 12 games (two starts) in center field, three games in left field and one game in right field... handled all 12 putouts in the field for a 1.000 fielding percentage.
- played 129 games with Calgary in his first season at the AAA level... collected 21 home runs, one shy of his single-season best of 22, reached in 1999 at Class A High Desert in the Diamondbacks system.
- went 6x9 with two doubles, one triple, one home run and four RBI over his last two AAA games, including a season-high four hits on August 31 vs. Edmonton.
- hit .326 (29x89) over his final 27 games, back to August 1, after hitting .208 in July and .119 in June... hit a season-best .354 (29x82) in 24 May contests.
- collected a season-high 13-game hitting streak, May 13-28, notching a .434 (23x53, 6 HR, 13 RBI).
- had two multiple home run games on the season: May 27 at Iowa and August 1 vs. Tacoma.
- had 26 multi-hit games and 17 multi-RBI games with Calgary.
- established career highs in games (136) and triples (nine), batting .240 with 17 home runs, 14 doubles and 53 RBI in his fifth Minor League season... led the Eastern League with nine triples and led Portland in home runs and triples.
- after beginning the season hitting .175 (28x160) over his first 45 games (in April and May), batted .292 (28x96) with seven home runs in June and .287 (29x101) with five home runs in July... hit home runs in three straight games from June 4-6 and two home runs on August 12 at New Haven, going 3x5 with four RBI.
- hit safely in 14 of 15 games from July 1-19, batting .297 (19x64) with three home runs, two triples and seven RBI over that span.
- collected 26 multi-hit games, including two three-hit games and a season-high four hits in five at-bats with a triple, home run, three RBI and a season-high four runs scored on August 3 vs. Trenton.
- notched 14 multiple RBI contests, including a season-high four RBI on August 12 at New Haven... added two three-RBI games, in consecutive contests, on August 2 and August 3 vs. Trenton.
- rated as the Marlins' No. 6 prospect and the No. 19 prospect in the Eastern League by Baseball America... named the Marlins' best defensive outfielder and his outfield arm was rated as the best in the Eastern League and the best in the Marlins' organization.
- played 68 games for Estrellas in the Dominican League and hit .234 with six doubles, four triples, six home runs and 27 RBI.
- Began the season on the disabled list with a right shoulder strain... was activated on April 14 and went 3x5 with two
doubles in his first game of the season vs. Norwich on April 14.
- Hit .285 (47x165) with four home runs, 15 doubles, two triples and 28 RBI in 58 games with AA Portland before being placed on the disabled list again on June 24.
- Was activated from the disabled list on July 14 and appeared in two games with Portland on July 15-16 before being sent to Class A Brevard County on July 17... reached base safely by a hit or a walk in 26 of his 31 games at Brevard
County... was successful in 11 of his 13 stolen base attempts.
- Hit a grand slam in an 8-5 win at Vero Beach on July 21... was the Clubbs first grand slam in 95 games.
- Appeared in 14 games with Portland from August 22-September 4 after being recalled to Portland on August 21... hit .275 (14x51) with two home runs, two doubles, a triple and 14 RBI during the 14-game stretch.
- Suffered a broken right hand on October 27 sliding into second base while playing in the Dominican Winter League.
- Rated as the No. 30 prospect in baseball in 2000 and the Marlins No. 5 prospect in 2001 by Baseball America.