- Chad Douglas Fox and his wife, Allison, have three daughters: Morgan, Ashleigh and Paige.
- Graduated in 1989 from Westfield (TX) High School, where he played baseball and basketball... attended
Blinn (TX) Junior College and Tarleton State University in Stephenville, TX... played third base in college, but
converted to a pitcher after he was drafted by the Reds.
Expected to be the top setup reliever, the right-hander was lost for the year early. He was placed on the 15-day disabled list with right elbow inflammation on April 29, retroactive to April 28. He was transferred to the 60-day DL on May 12.
- Posted a 2-1 record with a 2.13 ERA in 21 relief outings with Florida after going 1-2 with a 4.50 ERA and
three saves in 17 games with Boston... went 3-3 with a 3.12 ERA in 38 combined games (43.1 IP) on the year.
- Released by Boston on July 31... signed by the Marlins to a minor league contract on August 8 and was
selected from AAA Albuquerque on August 12 when LHP Tommy Phelps was placed on the disabled list..
- Allowed a .190 BA in his 25.1 innings with Florida (16x84), including .206 to LHH and .180 to RHH... allowed
five of 15 inherited runners to score with Florida (10 of 22 overall)... on the year, allowed a .224 BA including
.233 to first batters.
- Made his Marlins debut on August 12 vs. Los Angeles and collected the victory with a scoreless 13th inning
(1 BB, 1 SO)... was his first National League win since June 2, 2002 at San Diego (with Milwaukee).
- Began his Florida career with five straight scoreless outings, August 12-20, allowing three hits with three
walks and three strikeouts over 4.2 innings... included his second win as a Marlin, on August 16 vs. San Diego
(2 H, 1 SO) in 1.0 scoreless inning.
- After allowing two runs in 1.0 inning on August 22 at San Francisco, followed with four more scoreless
appearances, August 27-September 4, covering 5.0 innings (1 H, 4 BB, 8 SO).
- Allowed four runs in his last 11 appearances, dating back to September 6, spanning 14.2 innings, a 2.45
ERA... included his first loss as a Marlin, September 18 at Philadelphia, as he allowed a Jim Thome homer
in 1.1 innings, a 5-4 Phillies victory.
- Converted three of five saves with the Red Sox... suffered a blown save and took the loss in his first outing of the season: March 31 at TB (2 R in 0.2 IP), including a home run to Carl Crawford... converted his first save
as a Red Sox on April 2 at TB, allowing a hit with a strikeout in one inning... took his second loss in his third
Boston appearance: April 5 at Baltimore, allowing a run on one hit with three walks in 0.1 inning.
- Followed that outing with six straight games when he allowed one unearned run over 7.0 innings... during that
span, collected a win over Tampa Bay on April 16 (1.0 IP) and saves on April 22 at Texas and April 25 at
Anaheim (combined 3.0 IP)... had his second blown save on April 27 at Anaheim (1 R, 0.1 IP).
- Was on the DL from April 28-June 30 with a left oblique strain... made rehab starts for Class A Sarasota (June
16 and 18 vs. Ft. Myers, at AAA Pawtucket (June 24 vs. Durham) and at AA Portland (June 28 vs. Altoona).
- After returning from the DL, pitched five straight scoreless outings, from July 1-17 (5.1 IP, 4 H, 4 BB, 6 SO)
before allowing five runs on seven hits in 3.1 innings on July 24 (vs. TB) and 29 (at TEX) before his release.
- Pitched in three games, August 7-10, with Albuquerque before joining Florida, posting a 3.86 ERA in 2.1 IP.
- Posted a 1-0 record with a 3.97 ERA in 11.1 innings... allowed five runs on 12 hits with a .286 BAA... allowed
one run in his first four games (6.2 IP) and followed by allowing four runs in 4.2 innings over his final five
games... collected his first playoff win in Game 6 of the NLCS at Chicago, allowing two hits in 0.1 inning.
Pitched a total of six games in 2002, three with the Milwaukee Brewers and three with AA Huntsville... opened
the season on Milwaukee's 15-Day DL with a sprained ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow...Made a rehab stint at AA Huntsville, making three appearances before being activated on May 31...Earned a victory in his first outing with Milwaukee, pitching 1.2 scoreless innings on June 2 at San Diego...Made two additional relief appearances: June 4 vs. Chicago (2.0 IP, 0 R, 3 H , 1 BB, 2 SO) and June 7 at Pittsburgh (1.0 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 2 BB, 1 SO) before returning to the DL on June 8 with a strained rotator cuff...Did not pitch for the remainder of the season after returning to the DL.
Named the Brewers Most Valuable Pitcher... Began with Indianapolis
(AAA)...Appeared in four games with the Indians (3-0 with a 1.50
ERA) before his contract was purchased by Milw. on 4/13...
Established career bests in ERA, wins, saves, apps., IP, and
K...Tied for 1st in the N.L. with F. Rodriguez with 5.94 hits/9 IP
and 5th in the N.L. with 10.8 K/9 IP (80 K/66.2 IP)...3-0 with a
1.78 ERA in 32 apps. at Miller Park...Began season with nine
scoreless outings spanning 10.2 IP (April 14-May 8)...Threw 13.2
consecutive scoreless IP from 8/1-26 (13 apps.)...Held N.L. East
opps. scoreless in all 14 apps. (18.1 IP)...Was 4-1-2 with a 1.50
ERA (60 IP, 10 ER) in 57 games vs. N.L. opps...Had 2 blown saves (4/
6 vs. Cin. & 4/24 vs. NYM) before earning first M.L. save on 8/29 vs
Pitts...Pitched career-high three consec. days 8/1-3 and 8/17-
19...Had a 0.57 ERA in 14 apps. spanning 15.2 IP in Aug...Struck out
season-high three on 5 occasions...Scoreless in 83% of his outings
Did not play...Placed on the 15-Day D.L. on 3/28 with a fractured
right elbow...Transferred to the 60-Day D.L. on 4/2.
Made six apps. with Milw., averaging 16.2 K/9 IP...Pitched a
season-high 1.2 innings of relief 4/9 at Hou... Struck out season-
high three in 3 consec. outings 4/9 and 4/13 and 15 at Mont...Made
his final app. on 4/20 vs St. L...Placed on the15-Day D.L. on 4/21
with a strained right elbow...Underwent right elbow reconstruction
surgery on 7/27, performed by Dr. James Andrews...Transferred from
the 15-Day D.L. to the 60-day on 9/5.
Spent his first full season in the M.L...Allowed only one run in his
first 20.1 IP...Set a Brewers N.L. franchise record by tossing 18.1
consecutive shutout IP from 4/2- 5/2...Set a career high by striking
out four in 2 IP 4/16 at Mont...Worked a career high 2.1 hitless IP
4/27 at LA...Placed on 15-Day D.L. 5/11 with an inflamed right
shoulder...Made two rehab apps. 6/26 and 28 with Beloit (A)...Gave
up a run in 2 IP at Beloit...Was activated from the D.L. 6/30...Did
not allow a hit in his first 5 apps. after returning from
D.L...Earned first M.L. win on 9/22 vs. Chi. (NL) after working one
scoreless inning in 8-7 win...Had a 0.47 ERA in March/April...Was 1-
1 with a 2.89 ERA in Sept...Struck out 64 in 57 IP.
Split season between Richmond (AAA) and Atl., pitching exclusively
in relief...At Richmond was 1-0 with a 3.70 ERA (24.1 IP, 25
K)...Contract purchased from Richmond on 7/12... Struck out 27 in
26.2 IP...Held LH hitters to a .176 batting avg... Acquired by Milw.
from Atl. for G. Williams on 12/11.
Acquired by Atl. from Cin. with a player to be named later (R. King)
in exchange for M. Kelly on 1/9...Spent season at Richmond
(AAA)...93.1 IP with a 4.73 ERA in 18 starts...Struck out 87 while
walking 49...Underwent reconstructive elbow surgery in July.
Played for Chattanooga (AA) of the So. Lg. (20 G, 4-5, 5.06).
Pitched at Winston-Salem (A) of the Carolina Lg. (12-5), tying for
4th in the lg. in wins and 8th in ERA (3.86)...All 25 apps. were
starts...Had 137 K and 94 BB in 156 IP.
Played for Charleston (A) of the South Atlantic Lg...Posted a 9-12
record in 26 apps... Pitched 135.2 innings and had an ERA of 5.37.
Signed by Johnny Almaraz...Spent the season at Princeton of the
Appalachian Lg...Split time between starting and relief, compiling a
4-2 record with a 4.74 ERA.