Globe iconLogin iconRecap iconSearch iconTickets icon

Wilson's surgery set for Thursday

Angels' southpaw having bone chips and bone spurs removed from left elbow

ANAHEIM -- C.J. Wilson will have surgery to remove bone spurs and bone chips from his left elbow on Thursday at the Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic in Los Angeles, the Angels' left-hander said before Monday's series opener against the White Sox.

Dr. Neal ElAttrache will perform the operation, for which the recovery time is typically 8-12 weeks. Wilson expects to be ready for Spring Training and to be throwing well before then.

"It's not just bone spurs," Wilson said. "They're gonna do some other stuff in there. But it's the same timetable -- Spring Training."

After his initial diagnosis of bone spurs at the beginning of August, Wilson got a second round of opinions from multiple doctors at the Kerlan-Jobe clinic on Tuesday -- including a nerve doctor, resident surgeons and orthopedic surgeon James Andrews, based in Alabama, who consulted over the phone.

"They all had the universal conclusion on that one -- that we have to proceed right away," Wilson said.

The new testing revealed bone chips in addition to the bone spurs.

"I went in and got fresh images on various angles and body parts, and they converted that to the sooner we get it done, the better for me, so I can rehab nice and slow," Wilson said. "They were very surprised that I was out there operating at all with the condition of what was going on."

ElAttrache performed Angels left-hander Tyler Skaggs' Tommy John surgery in August 2014, which Wilson said factored into his choice to have ElAttrache do his surgery as well; so did having a more extensive support system in Southern California for his recovery. 

This surgery will be similar, but not identical, to the two earlier cleanout procedures Wilson had done on his left elbow in 2008 and '12. The first surgery was to remove bone chips, Wilson said, the second was to remove bone spurs. Thursday's will be for a combination of both.

"They had a little bit more comprehensive diagnosis and did like a nerve test and everything, because they wanted to really figure out what was going on," Wilson said. "They dug really deep, and I was there for approximately six or seven hours getting different diagnostics and consultations."

There weren't any representatives from the Angels present, as the team was on the road in Chicago. But the results were clear.

"They were very comprehensive in their analysis," Wilson said. "It was very refreshing to have so many opinions reach the same conclusion -- there wasn't any dissenting opinion in the room."

He said he didn't think he needed to comment on how the Angels handled the situation.

"The team obviously was aware of everything that was going on from April on," Wilson said. "It was a collaborative effort for everybody to try to work together and try to get the most innings that I had before I hit the brick wall, and that's what happened."

David Adler is an associate reporter for Follow him on Twitter @_dadler.
Read More: Los Angeles Angels, C.J. Wilson