Iwakuma's no-hitter: Did You Know?
Hisashi Iwakuma's no-hitter -- a 3-0 gem against the Orioles on Wednesday afternoon at Safeco Field -- was the fifth no-no in Mariners history. All five have been thrown at home. Here's a rundown of some other facts about the no-no.
• The no-hitter was Iwakuma's first career complete game.
• The last three no-hitters thrown by American League pitchers have been authored by the Mariners -- Felix Hernandez threw a perfect game in a 1-0 victory over the Rays on Aug. 15, 2012, and six pitchers combined to toss a no-hitter against the Dodgers in a 1-0 win on June 8, 2012.
• Iwakuma and Hernandez's no-hitters bookended the longest streak of no-hitters in Major League history by one league -- and Iwakuma's came nearly three years to the day after Hernandez's.
• In that span, the National League threw 12 no-hitters.
• Iwakuma's no-no marked the first time one team has accounted for three consecutive no-hitters by a respective league since 1960-61, when the Braves were responsible for three straight no-hitters league-wide. Lew Burdette tossed the first no-no of the streak on Aug. 18, 1960, against the Phillies, before Warren Spahn hurled the league's next two no-hitters, on Sept. 16, 1960, and April 28, 1961.
• Including White Sox right-hander Philip Humber's perfect game at Safeco Field in April 2012, four of the last five AL no-hitters have involved the Mariners.
• The last pitcher to throw a no-hitter in his first career complete game was Humber (it is still his only career complete game).
• Hideo Nomo (with two) is the only other Japanese pitcher in MLB history to throw a no-hitter. Nomo also no-hit the Orioles, doing so on April 4, 2001.
• The Orioles have been no-hit seven times in franchise history. Prior to Wednesday, the last time they were no-hit was on Sept. 1, 2007, against Red Sox right-hander Clay Buchholz.
• Iwakuma's no-hitter was the first no-no to take place place on Aug. 12 of any year.
• The outing came one start after Iwakuma threw a career-high 118 pitches. He threw 116 (77 strikes) on Wednesday.
• Iwakuma's three walks on Wednesday tied a season high; he walked three on April 14 against the Dodgers.
• The 34-year-old Iwakuma is the oldest pitcher to throw a no-hitter since 40-year-old Randy Johnson threw a perfect game for the D-backs against the Braves at Turner Field on May 18, 2004.