Mets playing it safe with Wright's rehab
NEW YORK -- David Wright is making progress in his rehab from a right hamstring strain, but the Mets aren't going to rush their star third baseman.
Wright has been on the disabled list since Aug. 3, and he's three weeks into the original three-to-five week timetable he was given for his recovery. He took ground balls for the first time on Friday and did some light running in the outfield before Saturday's game against the Tigers.
"The one thing about the rehab, as a player and a manager, you want it to happen fast. It does not happen fast," manager Terry Collins said. "There's a process involved, and we stand by our medical people, who we truly believe do a good job of managing."
Collins said Wright wouldn't be cleared to do full baseball activities until he can run the bases and run in a straight line with some speed.
Wright is batting .309 with 16 home runs and 54 RBIs this season.
"David said last week this could become a chronic problem if it's not taken care of and done right," Collins said. "Is he getting better? Yes. Is he getting closer? Yes. What's the timetable? No one knows."