White Sox activate Konerko from disabled list
CHICAGO -- Paul Konerko returned to U.S. Cellular Field on Sunday morning after completing his three-game Minor League rehab assignment with a three-hit effort for Double-A Birmingham on Saturday night, and the White Sox officially announced his activation from the disabled list on Monday.
The White Sox captain finished 4-for-10 while with the Barons and is expected to return to the big league lineup for the start of a four-game home set with the Tigers on Monday. Konerko had been on the disabled list since July 3 with a lower back strain.
"[Saturday] night he was swinging it pretty good. Health-wise, he's looking good," said White Sox manager Robin Ventura of Konerko. "Any time you get Paulie back, it's important for a lot of different reasons."
Konerko played 34 games at first base and 33 at designated hitter before the injury. Ventura wants to use a continued split for Konerko between those two responsibilities.
"He likes being on the field and you want to take care of him in a way that you know you're taking care of his back," Ventura said. "Him and Adam [Dunn] both like being on the field, so you try and mix it up a bit."