• Anthony Fernandez, a 22-year-old left-hander, was optioned to Double-A Jackson on Tuesday, reducing the number of players in Major League camp to 56. Fernandez, who split last season between Class A High Desert and Jackson, had given up four runs and four hits in four innings of work this spring.
• Hisashi Iwakuma is scheduled to throw four innings Wednesday when the Mariners travel to Surprise, Ariz., to face the Royals. Danny Hultzen, who hasn't pitched since Feb. 27 after his last start was scratched because of a sore hip, will throw an inning in relief.
• Joe Saunders is on tap to start Thursday's Cactus League game against the Reds, followed by Brandon Maurer. Both are tentatively scheduled for four innings.
• Young prospects James Paxton and Taijuan Walker are set to throw three innings each in a "B" game on Thursday against the Indians in Goodyear, followed by Kameron Loe and Carter Capps.
• Wednesday's game against the Royals was originally scheduled on a tape delay on 710 ESPN Seattle, but now will be carried live at 1:05 p.m. PT because of a conflict with the Pac-12 basketball tournament.
• Outfielder Casper Wells remained sidelined by a stiff neck for a third straight game. Wedge said Wells was feeling better, but would likely need at least another day before he's back in the lineup.
• The Mariners will host the Netherlands on Friday at 7:05 p.m. at Peoria Stadium in a World Baseball Classic exhibition game. Mariners Minor League outfielder Kalian Sams is a starting outfielder for the Dutch squad and hit .267 (5-for-19) with seven runs, three doubles and three RBIs in his team's first six games.