Globe iconLogin iconRecap iconSearch iconTickets icon
The Official Site of the Kansas City Royals
news

Royals News

Royals tab Lopez to start, send Smith to 'pen

MLB.com @FlannyMLB

KANSAS CITY -- The Royals announced after Tuesday night's 6-5 loss to the Blue Jays that right-hander Jorge Lopez would be recalled from Triple-A Omaha and start Wednesday's game at Kauffman Stadium.

Lopez, 25, was acquired along with outfielder Brett Phillips from the Brewers in the Mike Moustakas deal before the non-waiver Trade Deadline.

View Full Game Coverage

KANSAS CITY -- The Royals announced after Tuesday night's 6-5 loss to the Blue Jays that right-hander Jorge Lopez would be recalled from Triple-A Omaha and start Wednesday's game at Kauffman Stadium.

Lopez, 25, was acquired along with outfielder Brett Phillips from the Brewers in the Mike Moustakas deal before the non-waiver Trade Deadline.

View Full Game Coverage

Royals manager Ned Yost said a corresponding move to make room for Lopez on the 25-man roster would be made before Wednesday's game against the Blue Jays.

Lopez posted a 5.26 ERA in 26 outings at Triple-A this year between the Royals' and Brewers' organizations. In Lopez's last outing with Omaha, he threw 5 2/3 scoreless innings while giving up three hits and striking out seven against Salt Lake City.

"We got six weeks left [to the season]," Yost said. "He made a start the other day that was as good as he's had down there. We've got six weeks left and we want to look at him."

Right-hander Burch Smith, who had been in the rotation and was scheduled to start on Wednesday, will move back to the bullpen.

"I told Burch over the weekend that he was going back to the bullpen," Yost said. "He's been preparing for that. Tonight was his first night in the 'pen."

Jeffrey Flanagan has covered the Royals since 1991, and for MLB.com since 2015. Follow him on Twitter @FlannyMLB.

Kansas City Royals, Jorge Lopez, Burch Smith