In 2021, the Scotts® Field Refurbishment Program will provide grants of products and services, with a value up to $50,000, to four youth-serving organizations that are in need of renovations to existing ballfields. In addition to the grant, Scotts will host special celebrations for the winning communities. Applications will be accepted from February 24, 2021 – April 9, 2021, with project work to take place in the Summer of 2021. A blue ribbon panel of judges – including Ryan Howard, Jenine Finch, representatives from Scotts & MLB – will determine the final grantees.
The Scotts® Field Refurbishment Program is a major diamond and green space renovation initiative that has provided 28 youth-focused baseball and softball fields across the country with significant upgrades. Scotts, the Official Lawn Care Company of Major League Baseball, enters its fifth season as an official partner of the "PLAY BALL" initiative. Together, MLB and Scotts are encouraging youth and communities to get outside and enjoy activities, like baseball and softball.
Grant Award Packages
Each refurbishment will include one (1) infield makeover that incorporates a new infield with sod and infield dirt. Other enhancements may include:
- New pitcher's mound
- New home plate and batter's boxes
- New bases and anchors
Grant applications will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- The ability of the grant to increase youth participation and improve the quality of youth baseball and softball programming
- The ability of the grant to enhance the lives of underserved children
- The ability of the grant to improve the local community
- The organization’s ability to leverage the grant to generate more support for the field and programming
- Online application submission
- The following documents must be sent to [email protected] no later than April 9, 2021 (11:59 p.m. ET), and will become part of the application packet.
- Written confirmation of nonprofit or tax-exempt status from the appropriate governmental agency (e.g., IRS determination letter). Note that 501(c)(3) organizations and also tax-exempt organizations (i.e. municipalities, school districts) are eligible to apply.
- List and description of key partnerships
- A copy of your organization’s previous fiscal year’s organizational budget
Scotts® Field Refurbishment Program grant applications must follow the above format and include all specified information in the designated order. Incomplete applications will not be eligible for consideration. Applicants will be notified by e-mail as to the status of their proposal.
2021 Scotts® Field Refurbishment Program Calendar:
February 24, 2021 – April 9, 2021: Applications Accepted
April 10 – June 1, 2021: Grant Decisions
June 3, 2021: Grant Awards Announcement
June – September 2021: Project Implementation