Dodgers-Cardinals Game 3: Did You Know?
ST. LOUIS -- The National League Division Series shifted to St. Louis on Monday, and from the comforts of Busch Stadium, the Cardinals took a 2-1 lead in the series with a 3-1 victory over the Dodgers in Game 3.
Here's what you should know:
• The Cardinals have six home runs through three games in this series. They had just 105 during the regular season, the fewest in the NL. The most they hit in a single series this year was five.
• Cardinals right-hander John Lackey made his 17th postseason start and appeared in his 20th postseason game Monday. He's 7-5 with a 2.92 ERA in 111 postseason innings.
• Matt Carpenter has a home run in each of the Cardinals' three postseason games so far. He's 6-for-12 with four runs scored, two doubles, three homers, seven RBIs, a walk and two strikeouts in the NLDS.
• A triple in the sixth snapped a string of seven consecutive strikeouts for the Dodgers' Yasiel Puig. The record for most consecutive postseason strikeouts is eight, jointly held David Justice when he played for the Yankees in 2001, and Jerry Reuss when he pitched for the Dodgers in 1981.
• Puig has now struck out eight times in 14 plate appearances so far this series. The record for most strikeouts in a playoff series is 13 in 21 plate appearances, set by Detroit's Austin Jackson and Oakland's Brandon Moss in the same 2013 American League Division Series.
• With a single in the second inning, Dodgers catcher A.J. Ellis extended his postseason hitting streak to nine games. He's hit safely in 12 of his last 13 playoff games.
• Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu is 7-3 with a 2.48 ERA in 13 career regular-season starts with six or more days of rest between starts. He hadn't pitched since Sept. 12 with shoulder inflammation.
• Ryu has allowed just one run in 13 career postseason innings against the Cardinals after giving up one run over six innings in Game 3. He pitched seven scoreless innings against St. Louis in last year's NL Championship Series.
• Matt Adams went 1-for-3 with a walk against the left-handed Ryu. Adams has hit just .197 for his career against lefty pitchers.
• Lackey struck out eight batters to match his postseason career high set in Game 3 of the 2013 ALDS while with the Red Sox.
• Kolten Wong put the Cardinals ahead with a two-run blast in the seventh. It was his first career postseason home run, RBI and run scored.
• Lefty batters Carpenter and Wong went deep against southpaws Ryu and Scott Elbert on Monday. That's now five lefty-on-lefty home runs in this series, three of which belong to Carpenter.
• Dee Gordon picked up the first steal of his postseason career. The Dodgers' second baseman led the Majors with 64 stolen bases in the regular season.