Injured second baseman Devon Travis was transferred to the 60-day disabled list to make room for Stroman on the 40-man roster. Travis is expected to miss the rest of the year because of a strained left shoulder, but he recently began swinging and hasn't officially been ruled out for 2015.
The Blue Jays also recalled right-hander Chad Jenkins from Triple-A Buffalo. The move was made at least in part because Toronto is set to play a doubleheader at Yankee Stadium on Saturday afternoon.
Jenkins will give the Blue Jays even more protection out of the bullpen and he also becomes another candidate to pitch in long relief down the stretch. Jenkins made one appearance for Toronto earlier this year and has a 3.27 ERA in 99 career innings at the big league level.
"Yeah, let him eat up some innings if he needs to, another long guy," Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said.
• Dioner Navarro and Russell Martin will split catching duties for the Blue Jays' doubleheader on Saturday. Navarro will start the opener with right-hander Marco Estrada on the mound for Toronto, while Martin will catch Stroman in the second game.
• Gibbons said he would not be afraid to use rookie relievers Roberto Osuna and Aaron Sanchez in both of Saturday's games if necessary. Even though Toronto is playing four games within the span of 48 hours, he also left the door open that the two relievers could appear in every game as long as one of their appearances doesn't include a really high pitch count.