Globe iconLogin iconRecap iconSearch iconTickets icon

Royals rally but fall short in suspended game vs. Tribe

KC drops half-game to Tigers in Central; maintains hold on WC spot

Editor's note: This was the completion of a suspended game that began on Aug. 31. As a result, the records listed in the box score reflect results through games of that day. However, as of the completion of the game, the Royals' record was 84-71 and the Indians' record was 82-74 heading into their game scheduled for Monday night.

CLEVELAND -- Now it's finally over. Cleveland won the suspended game of Aug. 31 when the last half-inning was completed on Monday night. The score was 4-3, with the Royals scoring one run in the 10th inning.

Technically, the game was resumed after a 58-minute rain delay with the Indians -- chasing the Royals in the American League Central and Wild Card races -- holding a 4-2 lead. And yes, the Royals were the home team at Cleveland's Progressive Field because the game actually began in Kansas City.

To begin the bottom of the 10th, the Indians switched pitchers from left-hander Kyle Crockett to right-hander Scott Atchison. Crockett had been announced as the incoming pitcher just before the game was suspended.

Royals manager Ned Yost planned to use a pinch-hitter for Mike Moustakas if Crockett remained the pitcher, but the rules for a suspended game permitted a change.

So the left-handed-hitting Moustakas led off the inning against right-hander Atchison by dropping a looping single into right field, and Terrance Gore ran for him. Eric Hosmer batted for Erik Kratz and struck out as Gore swiped second base. Alcides Escobar grounded out to third.

Then it got interesting, as Nori Aoki lined a single to left field, scoring Gore. Jarrod Dyson ran for Aoki and stole second base, representing the potential tying run.

But Omar Infante popped out to end the resumption after just 11 minutes, an unusual situation, to say the least.

"You just deal with it. We knew going in it was a three-out situation and we were down two. We were going to battle back and do what we could to tie it up or take the lead. We made it real interesting," Yost said.

"We had the tying run at second with a chance to tie the ballgame up."

When the game began on Aug. 31, there was a sellout crowd of 39,009 at Kauffman Stadium and there was considerable drama.

Alex Gordon led off the Royals' ninth inning with a home run off Indians closer Cody Allen to tie the game, 1-1. Gordon belted a fastball an estimated 414 feet over the right-center-field wall.

Allen got through the rest of the ninth with no problem, so the game went into the 10th inning. Royals closer Greg Holland arrived to get two quick outs but then came a crucial error.

Jason Kipnis hit a bouncer that Holland chased but couldn't corral and the ball went off first baseman Billy Butler's glove. Kipnis was safe, Yan Gomes followed with a single and pinch-hitter Lonnie Chisenhall scored both of them with a double off the right-field wall.

Holland got the third out but then a whirlwind stirred through the stadium, sending hot dog wrappers and debris flying. The umpires cleared the field, called for the tarp, and 10 minutes later, a deluge began. After about an hour, the game was declared suspended.

"Bizarre game," Gordon said at the time. "But it hasn't ended yet."

Now it has.

Dick Kaegel is a reporter for
Read More: Kansas City Royals, Nori Aoki, Greg Holland, Kelvin Herrera, Alex Gordon, Wade Davis, Danny Duffy