Seeking Majors foothold, Montz has setback
PHOENIX -- Non-roster catcher Luke Montz, who in 2013 with the A's got a taste of the big leagues for the first time in five years, will not be seen behind the plate in spring games.
Montz is still limited in what he can do after having right shoulder surgery last year. For now, that means only catching bullpens, though he could see time at first base and DH when exhibition games start next week.
"It all depends," manager Bob Melvin said. "He could potentially DH, and we'll see how he feels at first."
Montz, 30, hit .179 in 13 games with Oakland in his first Major League action since batting .143 in 10 games for Washington in his 2008 debut, remaining on the A's big league roster for the month of May while Josh Reddick nursed a right wrist injury on the disabled list.
Montz returned to Triple-A Sacramento and hit .246 with nine home runs and 29 RBIs in 33 games with the River Cats in a season that ended in July because of his shoulder.
The A's released him Sept. 3 but re-signed him to a Minor League deal Oct. 12.
"A guy that's played as long as he has and finally gets the call to the big league level, gets some starts and I'm sure he was proud of the fact he worked so hard to get there, and now that goes away because of an injury for the rest of the season," Melvin said. "But I think he has some fight in him to work his way back."