• Pittsburgh club chairman Bob Nutting will be in town for Wednesday's unveiling of renovations to McKechnie Field and on Thursday morning will be in Pirate City for his annual address to the team. In between, he is expected to preside over a news conference to formally announce manager Clint Hurdle's contract extension.
• Short "winter" -- Monday morning's temperature was 35 degrees when the Pirates began their day at camp; when they finished, it was 70.
• To truly appreciate Andrew McCutchen's athleticism, you have to watch him make behind-the-back catches of 380-foot flies while shagging in center during batting practice.
• Nobody in camp calls Starling Marte by his proper first name. He is "Sterling" to everybody. Probably not an inadvertent slip.
• The Bucs' lone intrasquad game of the spring is on the slate for Friday, a 5 1/2-inning match between Black and Gold squads.
• The Sixth Annual Pirates Charities Spring Training Golf Classic will follow Thursday's workouts, at the Bradenton Country Club.
"Thatta boy! That's you right there, Clint! Two bases!" -- Pirates legend Manny Sanguillen, shouting encouragement from his on-field lawn chair while watching Clint Barmes pepper the left-center alley with line drive after line drive during batting practice.