Cervelli rejoins Yanks; Murphy optioned to Triple-A
NEW YORK -- Francisco Cervelli says he is ready to contribute to the Yankees in any way possible. He likes to catch, where he has spent most of his career, but spent time taking balls at first and third base while rehabbing his strained right hamstring in the Minors.
"I want to help the team the most I can. I don't care if I have to play right field. ... If I have to pitch, I pitch," Cervelli said with a laugh.
The Yankees activated Cervelli off the 60-day disabled list Tuesday. He was injured April 13, when he strained his hamstring against the Red Sox at Yankee Stadium. He played in 10 Minor League games during his rehab stint.
Cervelli battled with injury issues last season also. He was limited to just 16 starts before fracturing his right hand on a foul tip. Then he served a 50-game performance-enhancing-drug suspension in August.
This time around, Cervelli's father helped him through his rehab, not only physically, but also to make sure he was in the right place mentally.
"I tired to put my mind clear," Cervelli said. "Last year was real bad emotionally, and I don't want to feel that way again."
John Ryan Murphy was optioned to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre to make room for Cervelli. The Yankees did not want to carry three catchers, and they want Murphy to benefit from playing every day. But he had been an effective replacement -- in 24 games, he hit .286, with one home run and eight RBIs.
"Played extremely well," manager Joe Girardi said. "Obviously we were pleased with what he did, and he got his share of playing time, but I think it's important that he plays every day and continues his development."