De Leon called up while Cisnero sent to Triple-A
HOUSTON -- The Astros called up right-hander Jorge De Leon from Triple-A Oklahoma City on Wednesday and optioned right-hander Jose Cisnero to Triple-A. This will be De Leon's first time on a Major League roster.
In five appearances over 7 1/3 innings with the RedHawks, De Leon has notched one save, and allowed just six hits, only two walks and no runs. He threw 1 2/3 scoreless frames Monday vs. Colorado Springs.
The 25-year-old began the season at Double-A Corpus Christi, where he made 29 appearances (three starts, 4.27 ERA, six saves). Astros manager Bo Porter said De Leon came highly recommended from Triple-A manager Tony DeFrancesco.
"He said, 'Look, this guy's been throwing the mess out of the ball, a mid-90s fastball and a put-away slider,'" Porter said.
Cisnero went 2-2 with a 4.12 ERA in 28 games in relief for the Astros, allowing 49 hits and striking out 41 batters in 43 2/3 innings. Cisnero posted a 2.27 ERA in his first 18 games, but he had a 12.38 ERA in his last 14 games, allowing 13 hits and 10 walks in eight innings.
"He had a really good stretch where he was very effective and he struggled the last month and a half of the season, and it had a lot to do with mechanics," Porter said. "A lot of it had to do with fastball command. It looked like his confidence just continued to go down, and we just felt like with making the move, we could allow him to get down to Triple-A and get some things worked out and get his fastball command back."