Travis starts rehab stint, could return Monday
MINNEAPOLIS -- Blue Jays second baseman Devon Travis began his rehab assignment with Triple-A Buffalo on Friday night and likely could return to the big leagues on Monday night in Washington.
Travis has been out since May 17 because of inflammation in his left shoulder. The 24-year-old rookie went through some light hitting drills on Thursday and did enough to get the green light for Buffalo.
The tentative schedule had Travis getting the start at designated hitter for Buffalo on Friday before appearing in two games at second base this weekend. If everything goes well, Travis would then join the Blue Jays in time for Monday's series opener against the Nationals.
"If it goes well, if he looks fine, he took some swings in the cage yesterday before he left and he looked good," Blue Jays manager John Gibbons told a group of reporters Friday afternoon.
"He's not far enough removed [from playing] to really mess him up I think. [Hitting] that's really when it bothered him, but he hit yesterday and didn't see any holding back."
Blue Jays catcher Dioner Navarro also is nearing a return to the lineup. Navarro joined Buffalo earlier this week and was scheduled to start one game at DH and one game behind for the plate during the Bisons' doubleheader on Friday.
Navarro likely would play at least one more game this weekend, but he also could rejoin the Blue Jays on Monday in Washington. The 12-year veteran hasn't played since April 21 because of an injured left hamstring.
"He could be up next week, definitely," Gibbons said.