Stanton talks progressing, deal not imminent
Slugger's contract would be richest in total value in professional sports history
MIAMI -- Negotiations remain ongoing between the Marlins and Giancarlo Stanton, but a deal is not imminent. Both sides are working toward what they hope is an agreement on what would be the richest contract in sports history.
"Nothing is imminent. We're having long, ongoing discussions," Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria said. "Someone has turned this into a situation which it really shouldn't be. I really can't say much more. Michael [Hill, president of baseball operations] and Dan [Jennings, vice president, general manager] are talking to Stanton and his people, and we'll see where it goes. Believe me, there is nothing imminent today whatsoever."
Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com is reporting that the Marlins have extended a 13-year, $325 million offer that, if accurate, would also include the club's first ever no-trade clause, plus an opt-out provision for the National League MVP runner-up.
As more traction is being given to the story, at least one of Stanton's teammates is urging the deal to come to fruition.
Right-hander Jarred Cosart took to Twitter to support the Stanton talks. @JarredCosart "Hope this deal with @Giancarlo818 gets finalized. No one deserves it more #wow"
The Stanton saga has dominated MLB's news cycle in recent days after gaining traction on a national stage earlier this week at the General Managers Meetings in Arizona. Hill told reporters a few days ago that signing Stanton to an extension was the organization's No. 1 offseason priority.
"It has been positive dialogue," Hill said in Phoenix. "That is probably the best way to categorize it. Nothing contentious. It's been positive. I think we all recognize as a team, we had a better year."
Miami manager Mike Redmond, who signed a contract extension through 2017, spoke confidently that an agreement would eventually be reached with the two-time All-Star.
"I think there's no doubt that this guy's a huge part of our future and a huge piece for us going forward," Redmond said Thursday on MLB Network. "He's our No. 1 priority, and I think we've had great discussions. I'm very hopeful of the fact that he's going to be a Marlin for a long time and hit in the middle of that order for a long time.
"I think this guy's only going to continue to get better. I don't even think we've seen how good he can be, which is probably a little scary after what he's been able to accomplish after his short time in the big leagues."
Stanton, who turned 25 last Saturday, finished second to Clayton Kershaw in the NL MVP voting.
The slugger, who paced the NL with 37 homers and a .555 slugging percentage, made $6.5 million in his first year of arbitration. Two years away from being eligible for free agency, the Marlins have been outspoken all year that they wanted to sign him to an extension.
To do so, Hill went on record at the GM Meetings to say the club is willing to bend its no-trade policy, something it has not done since Loria assumed ownership in 2002. For Stanton, a rare talent with the best power in the game, the Marlins appear willing to make an exception.
If the reports come to fruition, Stanton's contract would triple the largest deal in club history, eclipsing Jose Reyes' six-year, $106 million contract signed before the 2012 season.
With 154 career home runs, Stanton is tied with Dan Uggla for the Marlins' all-time lead.