Pirates' turnaround a record?
CHICAGO -- With their 90th win, the Pirates may have set a Major League record for the most successful turnaround following 10 or more consecutive seasons without a winning record.
Admittedly, the basis for comparison is limited, and the following list may not be all-inclusive. But it does indicate five earlier ruts of 10-plus seasons, and where they ended, with the old St. Louis Browns/Baltimore Orioles holding the previous bounce-back record of 89 victories in 1960 (the franchise did break even at 76-76 in 1957).
• St. Louis Browns/Baltimore Orioles: 89 wins in 1960 following 14 non-winners.
• Seattle Mariners, 83 wins in 1991 after 14 seasons.
• St. Louis Browns, 82 wins in 1942 after 12 seasons.
• Philadelphia Phillies, 81 wins in 1949 after 16 seasons.
• Milwaukee Brewers, 81 wins in 2005 after 12 seasons.