• Shortstop Elvis Andrus was used at designated hitter on Monday night after his back tightened up during batting practice. Ian Kinsler, who was originally in the lineup at DH, started at second and Jurickson Profar moved over to shortstop.
• Former Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton on Nelson Cruz being suspended: "I'm very surprised. It's one of those things, you know? You're teammates, you spend a lot of times with him. Some guys keep certain parts of their lives to themselves. Take from what you see. Nellie was always a good teammate. I enjoy playing with him and enjoy having him in the locker room. I saw his statement that he made a mistake. I've made plenty of those."
• Cody Buckel, the Rangers' No. 8 prospect, and Neftali Feliz each threw a scoreless inning for the Arizona Rookie League Rangers on Monday. It was Buckel's first appearance in a game since May. He has been dealing with control issues after a terrible April in Double-A. He walked two on Monday but also struck out three.
• Third baseman Adrian Beltre celebrated being American League Player of the Month for July with a trip to the dentist's office on Monday morning for some painful oral surgery.
• The Rangers went into Monday's game having committed just one error in their last nine games.