• Travis Ishikawa will need a few more days to rest the tightness in his right leg that had forced him out of Tuesday's Black-Gold game.
• Edinson Volquez's tendency to lose focus seemed evident in his first outing for the Pirates. His first three pitches were strikes, but after not getting the call on a borderline 0-and-2 pitch to JR Murphy, 10 of his next 17 pitches were out of the strike zone.
• Charlie Morton, who will start on Thursday in Tampa, looks forward to facing Derek Jeter, whom he and his family admired when he was a teenager.
"It should be fun. He deserves everything that is being said about him," Morton said of Jeter, who will be making the first game appearance of his farewell season.
• Gregory Polanco replaced Jose Tabata in right field in the sixth inning on Wednesday and did something that, with his speed, he will probably not do often: He grounded into a double play on a hot smash to short.
• The "oven mitt" Starling Marte wore last September to protect his bruised right hand appears to be a keeper. He sported it on Wednesday after reaching on an error.
"Better safe than sorry," Hurdle said.