• Ed Lucas on Wednesday completed his surgery to insert a pin in his fractured left hand. Lucas sustained a fracture to his third metacarpal, and the pin was put in to make sure the bone would heal straight.
Lucas fractured his hand after being hit by a pitch last Thursday. The revised recovery estimate is four to six weeks from the surgery.
• Brian Bogusevic is remaining within the Marlins' system. On Wednesday, the outfielder was outrighted to Triple-A New Orleans. Bogusevic was the club's final cut, and because he was out of options, he was designated for assignment on Sunday.
He could have sought an opportunity elsewhere but instead opted to take the assignment, and he will join the Zephyrs. Bogusevic was acquired from the Cubs for Justin Ruggiano in December.
While Bogusevic is staying, the Marlins lost the services of reliever Michael Brady. Brady was designated on Sunday, making room on the 40-man roster for Kevin Slowey.
• Rafael Furcal (left hamstring strain) is doing some running on an anti-gravity treadmill. The team will have a better idea of when he will pick up his running by the end of the week.
• With a day game set for Thursday, catcher Jeff Mathis is expected to get his first start in place of Jarrod Saltalamacchia.
• The roof at Marlins Park on Wednesday was opened for the third straight night. Last year, the roof was open 14 times. The team would like to keep it open about 20 times this year.