• Farrell said that Will Middlebrooks' right calf is continuing to improve as he gets treatment. Placed on the 15-day DL Sunday, the third baseman's discomfort is settling down with each passing day.
• Second baseman Dustin Pedroia has a hit in all six of Boston's games this season. Pedroia's 10 hits so far mark the most on the club and are tied for second in the American League.
• Monday's game between the Rangers and Red Sox marks the earliest in a calendar year that the two clubs have met at Fenway Park.
• The Red Sox are tied for the sixth-most hits in the AL with 54, but are second to last in the AL with 19 runs scored.
• Hall of Famer and Red Sox legend Bobby Doerr turned 96 on Monday. Doerr was a nine-time All-Star and spent his entire career with the Red Sox.
• Lefty reliever Craig Breslow fired a scoreless inning for Triple-A Pawtucket on Monday, perhaps the final step before he is activated by the Red Sox.