• Joe Saunders, on the disabled list with a stress fracture in his left ankle, threw 97 pitches over five innings in his rehab start for Triple-A Round Rock on Thursday against Iowa. He allowed two runs on seven hits and three walks with seven strikeouts. Saunders is still working on some mechanical issues and will likely get at least two more starts.
• The Rangers have signed pitcher Chris Schwinden to a Minor League contract and assigned him to Triple-A Round Rock. He was 3-0 with a 1.95 ERA in four starts with Lancaster in the Independent Atlantic League after getting released by the Mets in Spring Training.
• The Rangers now have 13 players on the disabled list. That's five more than the Angels, who have the second most. The Rangers have used the disabled list 16 times, four more than any other team.
• The Rangers have not yet met with pitcher Martin Perez or his agent to discuss the possibility of undergoing Tommy John surgery. The two parties are expected to meet on Saturday because of some delays in travel.
• Joey Gallo was 4-for-4 with three home runs and five RBIs for Class A Myrtle Beach against Potomac. He now has 17 home runs to lead all the Minor Leagues.