• Manager Mike Matheny revealed after the Cardinals' 6-5 win on Monday that Mark Ellis had been unavailable due to soreness. Matheny, when asked, could not provide further details on the ailment.
• Reliever Jason Motte (lower back strain) said Monday he "felt good today," but that he has not yet been cleared to resume throwing. Motte said he expects to increase his rehab by adding some plyometrics into his work on Tuesday. Motte has been on the 15-day disabled list since Aug. 2.
• Left fielder Matt Holliday returned to the lineup on Monday but continues to deal with swelling of his left knee. Manager Mike Matheny noted that the issue may lead him to remove Holliday late in games more often in order to keep the issue manageable.
• The Pacific Coast League named Memphis first baseman Xavier Scruggs its Player of the Week after Scruggs went 11-for-24 with three homers and 11 RBIs from Aug. 11-17. He hit safely in all six games during the week and is riding a 12-game hitting streak. This is the third straight week the league award has been won by a Triple-A Memphis hitter.
• With two weeks remaining in their season, Memphis is sitting alone in first place in the American Southern division of the PCL. Memphis has won eight straight, the second-longest winning streak in franchise history, and can match the franchise record with a win on Monday. The Redbirds are a PCL-best 32-12 since July 2, when they were 6 1/2 games out of first.
• The Cardinals announced on Monday that they will sell $8 pavilion and terrace level seats to their upcoming series against the Pirates (Sept. 1-3) and Brewers (Sept. 16-18) as part of a promotion with McDonald's. Fans who download the free McD App will receive a promotional code to redeem at cardinals.com/McDonalds for the discounted tickets.