PNC Park



Opening and Previous Homes

PNC Park, which opened on April 9, 2001, is the fifth home of the Pittsburgh Pirates since their inception in 1887.

The fledgling National League franchise first began play at Recreation Park, located at the corners of Grant and Pennsylvania Avenues along the Fort Wayne railroad tracks on the North Side. The club then moved to Exposition Park in 1891, which was situated along the Allegheny River between the PNC Park site and where Three Rivers Stadium formerly stood. After 18 years at Exposition, including hosting the first World Series in 1903, the Bucs moved to Forbes Field in Oakland on June 30, 1909. The club spent 61 seasons at Forbes, its longest tenure at any facility, before returning to the North Shore with a move to Three Rivers Stadium on July 16, 1970.


  • Capacity: 38,362
  • Cost: $262 million (includes land acquisition)
  • Design Architect: HOK Sport, Architect of Record: L.D. Astorino
  • Concessionaire: Aramark Corp.
  • Construction Consortium: Barton Malow; Dick Corporation
  • Landscaping/Irrigation/Seeding: Landscape by Design
  • Distance from seats behind home plate to home plate: 51 feet
  • Shortest distance from home plate to Allegheny River: 456 feet (RF line)
  • Bullpens: Located beyond left-center field wall (visitors up front, Pirates in rear)
  • Playing Surface: 96,750 square feet of Kentucky bluegrass (2.2 acres)
  • Lighting: 7 light towers with approximately 672 bulbs
  • TV Monitors: Approximately 645 monitors
  • Suites: 65, plus four owner suites
  • Home Plate Club: 400 member private dinner club located behind home plate
  • Club Seats: 2,900

Outfield Distances

  • Left Field Foul Line: 325 feet
  • Left Field Power Alley: 389 feet
  • Left Center Field: 410 feet
  • Center Field: 399 feet
  • Right Field Power Alley: 375 feet
  • Right Field Foul Line: 320 feet

Outfield Wall Heights

  • Left Field to Left Center Field: 6 feet
  • Center Field: 10 feet
  • Right Field: 21 feet