Spring Training home of the Pirates since 1969
The Pittsburgh Pirates' Spring Training ballpark and minor league complex in Bradenton, Fla., has been home to the Prates since 1969.
The two complexes underwent $20 million in renovations as part of the team's new 30-year lease with the city before the start of the 2008 Spring Training season.
The upgrades included lights and a new visitor's clubhouse at LECOM Park and new offices, dormitories, renovations to the minor league clubhouse and a fifth practice field at the Pirate City minor league complex.
LECOM Park, which opened in 1923 and was rebuilt for the first time in 1993, is one of the oldest ballparks used for Spring Training and had never had lights until the 2008 season.
When the Pirates first began their association with the city of Bradenton, the ballpark was known as McKechnie Field, in honor of Pittsburgh native, former Bradenton resident and Hall of Fame manager Bill McKechnie. The new name, LECOM Park, was announced on February 10, 2017.