Nestled among Jefferson Street to the north, Fourth Street to the south and Seventh Street to the east, Chase Field is the epicenter of the downtown Phoenix sports experience.
Bank One Ballpark: March 31, 1998-Sept. 22, 2005
Chase Field: Sept. 23, 2005-present
Architect: Ellerbe Becket
Design Principal: Bill Johnson
Project Manager: John Wasson
Managing Contractor: Huber Hunt & Nichols
Groundbreaking: November 16, 1995
First Official Game: March 31, 1998 vs. Rockies
Construction Duration: 28 months
Construction Costs: $354 million
Physical Address: 401 E. Jefferson St., Phoenix, Ariz.
Major Cross Streets:
- North: Jefferson Street
- South: Lincoln Street
- East: 7th Street
- West: 4th Street
- Main Concourse
- Suite Level
- Upper Concourse
Field Surface & Dimensions
Playing Surface: Natural Grass
- LF: 330'
- LCF: 376'
- CF: 407'
- RCF: 376'
- RF: 335'
Outfield Wall Height:
- LF: 7'6"
- CF: 25'
- RF: 7'6"
Batters Eye: 66' wide by 27'6" tall
dbTV, LED Ribbon Display & Lineup Boards
- 136-feet-by-46-feet high-definition LED video board installed in 2008.
- Capable of displaying two true high-definition 16:9 images side by side.
- dbTV has 880 native lines of resolution and provides video in up to 4.4 trillion colors.
- Eight times bigger than previous JumboTron.
- 1,119-feet long LED ribbon display on second deck facade...installed in 2007...largest in MLB.
- Both installed by Daktronics (Brookings, S.D.).
- High-definition D-backs and visitors lineup boards.
- Height: 255-feet at highest point, 185-feet at lowest point.
- 9-million pounds of structural steel.
- Opens and closes in four and a half minutes with a pair of 200-horsepower motors.
- Operates with similar technology as draw bridges and overhead traveling cranes.
- 4 miles of cable strung through a pulley system.
- Opens from middle so the two segments of the roof can be opened or closed either in unison or independently.
- Opens/closes to its own music composed to exact time needed to move it.
- Roof Hotline: 602-462-6262
- Bull's Eye Bermuda, which is considered the most suitable grass for a retractable-roof stadium.
- Large incandescent lights provide a substitute when sunlight is insufficient.
Air conditioned using the Northwinds cooling system, which was designed to cool down the highly-populated facilities in Downtown Phoenix in 2001.
System cools the ballpark in less time than the prior air conditioning system did, which allows for the roof to remain open longer during the day time.
Ram Trucks Pool
- First MLB stadium with a pool...also features hot tub.
- Pool Deck: 1,288 sq. ft.
- Pool/Spa: 460 sq. ft.
- Capacity: 8,500 gallons of water.
- 415 feet from home plate.
- Staffed by lifeguard.
- First home run ball to land in the pool (on the fly) was hit by the Cubs' Mark Grace on May 12, 1998.
Features & Attractions
- Gila River Hotels & Casinos Plaza and the Coors Light Strike Zone
- The Sandlot
- Miller Lite Diamond Club
- Audi quattro Lounge
- Batters Box Suite
- Dugout Suites
APS Solar Pavilion
- Dedicated on April 28, 2011.
- Partnership between D-backs, Maricopa County Stadium District & APS.
- Solar shade structure covers 17,280 square feet.
- Solar panels will generate 75 kilowatts of solar power, enough electricity for about 8-10 homes
- 20-year life span.
- APS plans to use the solar facility as a technical demonstration project and will use the panels to store energy in batteries and charge electric vehicles directly from the sun.
- Also features educational exhibits showcasing elements of sustainable living such as renewable energy, energy efficiency, electric vehicles and recycling.
- Architect: HKS Inc.
- General Contractor: Renewable Energy Contractors, a division of Ironco.
Dining & Concessions
- Nearly a quarter mile of concession stand area.
- Dutch Bros Coffee, Portillo's, Cold Stone Creamery, America's Taco Shop, and Streets of New York as well as products from Pepsi and Aquafina.
- Friday's Front Row
- All-You-Can-Eat Section
- The Draft Room
- Sedona Club
Legends Entertainment District
Established in 2010, a joint venture between the Arizona Diamondbacks and the Phoenix Suns to create an energetic backdrop for people to enjoy their downtown experience.
First-of-its-kind marketing opportunity between two professional sports organizations aimed at revitalizing downtown Phoenix, attracting visitors and connecting an area that hosts more than 8 million visitors at more than 700 events each year.
50,000 plus square foot blend of digital signage, custom large format signs and super graphic static signage.
Designed to encompass downtown facilities such as US Airways Center, Chase Field and the Phoenix Convention Center, extending from 1st Avenue to 7th Street and Washington to Jackson Street.
Partners first to break ground: Anheuser-Busch, APS, Chevrolet, Fox Sports Arizona and Fry's Food Stores.
Includes more than 6,100 square feet of full-motion LED digital technology throughout the District, provided by Panasonic.
Provides digital informational programming in the form of LED news tickers and other relevant content on the LED technology, which runs 18 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- 2011 Major League Baseball All-Star Game.
- Post-Game Concerts by Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers, Lifehouse, Trace Adkins, Jessica Simpson, Lonestar, Jo Dee Messina, SHeDAISY, The Wiggles, Smash Mouth, Banda El Recodo, MercyMe, Jeremy Camp.
- 2006 World Baseball Classic Opening Round - Major League Baseball and International Baseball Federation...United States defeated Mexico, 2-0, in the first game played at Chase...other teams: Canada, South Africa.
- "Challenge at Chase" between Arizona State University and University of Arizona baseball teams in 2006-07.
- First-ever outdoor college basketball game on Dec. 27, 2000 between Arizona State University and University of Tennessee women's teams. The Sun Devils' women's team played at the stadium again on Dec. 18, 2006, though the game was cut short with over four minutes to go because rain began to fall through the opened roof.
- Insight Bowl, 2000-2005.
- Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl on Jan. 3, 2012 (high school football).
- AMA Supercross and Monster Jam Series.
- Rally for President George W. Bush in 2004.
- Professional Bull Riders Built Ford Tough Series.
- International soccer matches, including the Reto del Sol ("Challenge of the Sun") friendly match between the New York Red Bulls and Pumas UNAM on Feb. 23, 2012.