To kick off the school year, the New York Mets partnered with five after school programs across New York City to help inspire kids to stay active and healthy. The Mets on the Move health and wellness initiative gives children a fun way to learn about fitness through a Mets inspired curriculum provided by Mets staff. More than 500 kids participated in the program.
Mets On the Move launched in late September with the goal of each participant attending a Mets On the Move workout after school every Monday for five weeks. Each child that completed the workout of the day received fun Mets-themed prizes! Throughout the five weeks, the participating programs received visits from Mr. Met, Mets staff and special recognition on the scoreboard at a Mets home game.
The Mets are proud to have partnered with the following after school programs:
- Variety Boys & Girls Club - Queens
- PS 197Q - Queens
- PS/IS 217 - Queens
- USAG Fort Hamilton CYS Services - Brooklyn
- Boys & Girls Club of Harlem - Manhattan
Fitness tips of the month:
- Drink plenty of water! You should aim for about 70 ounces per day.
- Always remember to stretch! Stretching before and after workouts is important for improving flexibility and mobility, but most importantly it will help prevent injuries.
- At home tip: If you are at home watching tv or playing video games, you can still help improve your core strength by doing a 30-second plank during commercial breaks!