Globe iconLogin iconRecap iconSearch iconTickets icon
The Official Site of the Boston Red Sox

news

Red Sox News

Betts fine after exiting first game back from DL

Special to MLB.com

BALTIMORE -- Red Sox manager Alex Cora pulled Mookie Betts before the bottom of the 11th inning in Boston's 2-0, 12-inning win in the series opener vs. the Orioles at Camden Yards on Monday night. But the move was merely precautionary.

This was Betts' first game back after a stint on the disabled list (left abdominal strain), and the manager said after the game that they felt he had been in the game long enough. Betts went 1-for-5, and his 11th-inning single in a scoreless game started a rally in which the Red Sox loaded the bases with two outs but could not score.

View Full Game Coverage

BALTIMORE -- Red Sox manager Alex Cora pulled Mookie Betts before the bottom of the 11th inning in Boston's 2-0, 12-inning win in the series opener vs. the Orioles at Camden Yards on Monday night. But the move was merely precautionary.

This was Betts' first game back after a stint on the disabled list (left abdominal strain), and the manager said after the game that they felt he had been in the game long enough. Betts went 1-for-5, and his 11th-inning single in a scoreless game started a rally in which the Red Sox loaded the bases with two outs but could not score.

View Full Game Coverage

Betts stayed in for that, and got to third base, but Cora replaced the right fielder with Brock Holt in the bottom half of the inning.

"He hasn't played in two weeks, so I [thought] that was enough for him right there," Cora said. "He's good to go. It's fun to have him in the lineup. We'll see how he feels and we'll decide tomorrow if he plays or not."

"I feel fine," Betts said following the game. "I'm fine. I'm ready to go tomorrow, if I'm in there, and if not, will prepare for the next day."

Betts was activated from the 10-day disabled list before the game without going out on a rehab assignment. He had been out since June 1 (retroactive to May 29) due to a left abdominal strain, but pushed himself hard the past few days and felt good.

"Just talking with [Cora] and [president of baseball operations Dave] Dombrowski, and just decided to go ahead and jump right into it," Betts said. "I think, through this whole thing, I felt not so bad because it wasn't, like, a big tear. The only real thing I couldn't do was hit, but every other activity, I was fine."

Cora said they asked Betts if he wanted approximately three at-bats with Salem in the Class A Advanced Carolina League. Betts said he felt ready to rejoin the Red Sox.

Betts hit off the machine Sunday and Monday and felt fine. Cora added that Betts went through the pregame routine Sunday and did well.

Therefore, no rehab, and Betts went right back into the Red Sox lineup.

Video: ATL@BOS: Betts ends top of 2nd with nice running grab

"We're very comfortable with the decision we made," Cora said. "He went through all the check points, all the stations that he has before the game. He feels that he's ready to go."

As the corresponding move, the Red Sox optioned first baseman Sam Travis to Triple-A Pawtucket.

Injury updates
• Cora said that Dustin Pedroia (left knee inflammation) is getting treatment but has not done any baseball activities as of yet.

• Drew Pomeranz (left biceps tendinitis) threw on Sunday and had a stiff neck Monday, Cora said. The pitcher has played catch twice, but the Red Sox are waiting to see how his neck is doing.

• Tyler Thornburg (recovery from right shoulder surgery) felt great after pitching Sunday. He'll go to Pawtucket Thursday and throw again. Cora added that he could throw another time on Saturday or Sunday.

Jeff Seidel is a contributor to MLB.com based in Baltimore.

Boston Red Sox, Mookie Betts