The Pirates Charities Fields for Kids program provides financial support to improve youth baseball and/or softball facilities via matching grants to nonprofit organizations and local government units that operate baseball and/or softball programs.
The Pirates help Brookline Little League Association celebrate their Opening Day as part of the Pirates Charities Fields for Kids program.
MATCHING GRANT PARAMETERS
The Fields for Kids program is open to any independent nonprofit tax-exempt organization, school or local government unit that operates youth baseball and/or softball programs within the Pittsburgh Pirates market area, which primarily encompasses Western Pennsylvania, Eastern Ohio, and West Virginia.* Any organization operating baseball or softball programs for youth that has secured funds equal to or exceeding the request amount (secured funds can include in-kind contributions of materials or labor) may apply for a grant.
Organizations must be governed by active boards and have sufficient revenue to operate their leagues. Organizations receiving grants will be required to prominently display provided signage recognizing Pirates Charities' support. Organizations are limited to one Fields for Kids grant every other year (may not receive grants in consecutive years).
Grant applications will be accepted during two grant periods per calendar year. For each grant period, Pirates Charities will award a select number of grants ranging from $1,000- $25,000.
Eligible projects include the upgrading of essential field components, such as new sod, infield, fencing, dugouts, and irrigation systems; upgrades to the overall facility to include lights, bleachers, batting cages, scoreboards and concession stands. The purchase of land, parking lots, press boxes and restrooms are ineligible. Routine maintenance of fields will not qualify.
Organizations may apply for one Fields for Kids grant per year. Funding requests for projects that have already been completed will not be considered. Projects must be completed within one year from the date of the grant award. Organizations cannot receive grants in consecutive years. Organizations that have received a grant in the past must have returned a final grant report demonstrating project completion.
*The Pittsburgh Pirates market area includes the following counties:
In Pennsylvania: Allegheny; Armstrong; Beaver; Bedford; Blair; Butler; Cambria; Clarion; Clearfield; Crawford; Elk; Erie; Fayette; Forest; Greene; Huntingdon; Indiana; Jefferson; Lawrence; Mercer; Somerset; Venango; Warren; Washington; Westmoreland.
In West Virginia: Barbour; Brooke; Doddridge; Grant; Hampshire; Hancock; Harrison; Lewis; Marion; Marshall; Mineral; Monongalia; Ohio; Pleasants; Preston; Ritchie; Taylor; Tucker; Tyler; Wetzel.
In Ohio: Ashtabula; Belmont; Carroll; Columbiana; Coshocton; Geauga; Guernsey; Harrison; Holmes; Jefferson; Mahoning; Monroe; Noble; Portage; Stark; Summit; Trumbull; Tuscarawas; Washington; Wayne.
In Maryland: Allegany; Garrett.
The Pirates Charities Fields for Kids program is administered by Pirates Charities staff who will review all requests, pay matching grants, work closely with grantee organizations to ensure project completion, and maintain program records.
Organizations must complete an application and submit all required documents for consideration. Applications will be accepted and reviewed throughout the year.
Due dates and grant determinations for each of the two 2018 grant periods are as follows:
- Application Due Date: March 12, 2018
- Grant Determination: April 9, 2018
- Application Due Date: August 1, 2018
- Grant Determination: September 3, 2018
Completed applications should be directed to:
c/o Pittsburgh Pirates
PNC Park at North Shore
115 Federal Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
2017 GRANT RECIPIENTS
- AC Valley Little League
- Adams Township Baseball
- Ambridge Bridger Baseball Association
- Baden Youth Association
- Big Run Youth Baseball
- Blackhawk Area Youth Baseball Association
- Borough of Etna
- Brad Mar Pine Baseball and Softball Association
- Brookline Little League Association
- Butler Township Baseball Association
- Canon Mac Youth Girls Softball Association
- City of New Castle
- Clay County Little League
- Connellsville Pony & Colt League
- Cumberland, Maryland Mayor and City Council
- Delmont Area Athletic Association
- Fairchance Youth League
- Greater Baldwin Whitehall Athletic Association
- Hampton Athletic Association
- Huskies Sports Foundation
- Ingomar Franklin Park Athletic Association
- Jefferson Township Youth Organization
- Johnsonburg Little League
- Laurel Athletic Recreation Association
- Lisbon Baseball Softball Association
- Ligonier Youth Baseball and Softball Association
- Mainline Baseball
- Masontown German Park Youth Baseball & Softball Association
- Mon Valley Alliance
- Mount Peasant Area Little League
- Perry Area Youth Baseball and Softball League
- Powhatan River Bandits Baseball
- Riverside Baseball Federation
- Riverside Girls Athletic Association
- Seneca Valley North Athletic Association
- South Park Baseball Association
- TWIST, Inc.
- Urban Impact Foundation
- Washington Township Youth Athletic Association
- West Newton Recreation Board
- Williamstown Community Association