The Pirates and Pirates Charities recognize the important service provided to the community by Volunteer Fire Departments. In addition to traditional fire protection functions, Volunteer Fire Department responsibilities have expanded to include many other life-saving services including vehicle and water rescue, weather-related emergencies, industrial and agricultural accidents, etc.
Over 95% of fire companies/departments in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania are all-volunteer. Volunteer firefighters are just that - volunteers. They contribute a great deal of personal time and energy responding to calls, pursuing training, raising funds for operations, and maintaining station and equipment at those stations.
This Pirates Charities grant program is a way for regional volunteer fire departments to support their volunteer members and their communities. In 2019, a total of ten (10), $1,000 grants are available to regional volunteer fire departments. These grants can be used for:
- Implementation of a community fire/prevention program
- Firehouse equipment purchase, e.g. microwave, exercise or recreation equipment, etc.
- Volunteer fire member events, i.e. barbeque, picnic, etc.
In order to be considered for a grant, a representative from the Volunteer Fire Department must complete the online application or submit the PDF below and return to Pirates Charities no later than July 3, 2019. Grant determinations will be made by August 1, 2019, with funds to be distributed shortly thereafter.
Eligible Volunteer Fire Departments must be located within the following counties:
- Pennsylvania - Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Bedford, Blair, Butler, Cambria, Clarion, Clearfield, Crasford, Elk, Erie, Fayette, Forest, Greene, Hungtingdon, Indiana, Jefferson, Lawrence, Mercer, Somerset, Venango, Warre, Washington, Westmoreland
- Ohio - Ashtabula, Belmont, Carroll, Columbiana, Coshocton, Geaugu, Guernsey, Harrison, Holmes, Jefferson, Mahoning, Monroe, Noble, Portage, Stark, Summit, Trumbull, Tuscarawas, Washington, Wayne
- West Virginia - Barbour, Brooke, Doddridge, Grant, Hampshire, Hancock, Harrison, lewis, Marion, Marshall, Mineral, Monongalia, Ohio, Pleasants, Preston, Ritchie, taylor, Tucker, Tyler, Wetzel
- Maryland - Allegany, Garrett