David Ortiz's condition upgraded to 'good'
Retired Red Sox star David Ortiz's condition was upgraded to "good" as he recovers from the bullet wound he suffered June 9 in the Dominican Republic.
Ortiz’s wife, Tiffany, shared the latest update on the beloved slugger on Tuesday. Ortiz was previously in guarded condition.
“This morning, David’s condition was upgraded to ‘good’ by his doctors and he continues to make progress with his recovery in the intensive care unit at Massachusetts General Hospital," Tiffany Ortiz said in a statement released by the Red Sox.
“We remain grateful to everyone who has helped David through this ordeal, both in the Dominican Republic and here in Boston. David’s journey to good health has been bolstered by the many expressions of love that have come to us from across the globe. Your support has lifted his spirits tremendously during this challenging time.”
Ortiz, 43, was conversing at a Santo Domingo bar Sunday night when he was shot once in the back at point-blank range. Two others were also wounded in the incident, including Jhoel Lopez, a Dominican television host who was with Ortiz. The alleged driver of a motorcycle that brought the suspected shooter to the scene was captured by civilians near where the shooting took place. The alleged driver was identified as 25-year-old Eddy Feliz Garcia, according to police spokesman Col. Frank Duran Mejia. Several more suspects have been brought into custody, and The Associated Press reported that Julieta Tejeda, a spokeswoman for the national prosecutor's office, told reporters on Tuesday that a second arrest had been made in the investigation.
Ortiz underwent emergency surgery in Santo Domingo to address damaged organs before he was flown to Boston for further treatment. The 10-time All-Star and three-time World Series champion has received an outpouring of support -- both within the baseball world and beyond -- as he continues to recover in the city where he wrote his legacy in a Red Sox uniform.