Baseball legends from the first Phillies team to ever win a World Series are reuniting for Toyota Phillies Alumni Weekend, August 4-7, at Citizens Bank Park, during the series against the Washington Nationals.
To celebrate their big return, the Phillies and Toyota are hosting a full lineup of fan events that feature on-field ceremonies, special guests, commemorative giveaways such as a Coca-Cola Mike Schmidt 1980 World Champions Replica Ring and more as part of the team’s salute to the 1980 World Series champions. Initial plans for a 40th anniversary celebration were postponed due to the pandemic.
Festivities also include a pregame tribute in recognition of Dan Baker’s 50th anniversary behind the microphone as the Phillies public address announcer, as well as the Toyota Phillies Wall of Fame induction ceremony of 1980s legends Bake McBride and Ron Reed.
“This is going to be a very special weekend as we celebrate the legacy of this remarkable team,” said Phillies Managing Partner and Chief Executive Officer John Middleton. “Additionally, we will bestow one of our highest honors on two 1980 teammates, Bake McBride and Ron Reed, as we induct them into our Toyota Phillies Wall of Fame. We will also recognize one of the greatest voices of Philadelphia, the legendary Dan Baker.”
“The Tri-State Toyota Dealers are honored to participate in this celebration of the 1980 World Champion Phillies,” said Paul Muller, President of the local Tri-State Toyota Dealers Association. “It is a pleasure for Toyota to join the Phillies to salute the 1980 World Series champions through the many exciting events being held throughout Toyota Phillies Alumni Weekend.”
Over 40 former players are scheduled to attend the festivities. In addition to the 1980 World Series champs and Phillies Wall of Famers, former players from the 2008 World Series championship team and 1983 and 1993 National League champions will be participating in pregame events. The most up-to-date alumni listing and event lineup is below.
Plus, an official Phillies publication highlighting the 1980 World Series champions will be available for the first time. This 64-page book ($10), which includes a look back at the season through the eyes of Mike Schmidt, will be sold at the New Era Phillies Team Store, through ballpark program vendors and at phillies.com/shop.
Tickets for Toyota Phillies Alumni Weekend are available at phillies.com. Fans are encouraged to arrive at the ballpark early for each event and follow the Phillies on social media for updates.
LINEUP FOR TOYOTA PHILLIES ALUMNI WEEKEND
Thursday, August 4 – Coca-Cola Mike Schmidt 1980 World Champions Replica Ring for fans 15 and over at that night’s 7:05 p.m. game.
- Schmidt, the World Series MVP and a National Baseball Hall of Famer, drove in the winning run in the final game of the 1980 Fall Classic against the Kansas City Royals to lead the Phillies to their first title in franchise history.
Friday, August 5 – Dan Baker 50th Anniversary Salute before that night’s 7:05 p.m. game
- Fans should arrive to the ballpark early for this very special event that will recognize longtime public address announcer Dan Baker, whose iconic voice has provided countless memories for Philadelphia fans from multiple generations.
- The salute is in celebration of Baker’s 50 years on the microphone and will feature a trip down memory lane, led by broadcaster Tom McCarthy. Former players are scheduled to participate, as well as special guests from Baker’s storied career.
- Baker has been the voice of the Phillies at Veterans Stadium and Citizens Bank Park, which includes announcing five World Series (1980, 1983, 1993, 2008 and 2009) and two Major League Baseball All-Star Games (1976 and 1996).
Saturday, August 6 – Toyota Phillies Wall of Fame Induction Ceremony of Bake McBride and Ron Reed, before that night’s 6:05 p.m. game. All fans receive a commemorative print of the 2022 Wall of Fame inductees.
- Be at the ballpark early to join the Phillies as they bestow one of their highest honors upon two of its 1980 World Series champions, Bake McBride and Ron Reed, who will both be inducted that night into the Toyota Phillies Wall of Fame.
- Among those taking part in the induction ceremony will be Phillies Wall of Famers, as well as members of the 1980 World Series roster, who will all be on-field for the big event.
- In addition to the unveiling of the new inductees’ plaques on the Toyota Phillies Wall of Fame in Ashburn Alley, there will be a Toyota Tundra victory lap on the field.
ABOUT BAKE McBRIDE: A Phillies outfielder from 1977-81, McBride was a key member of the 1980 World Series champions who helped lead the club to four postseason appearances in his five years in Philadelphia. He batted .292 with 106 doubles, 32 triples, 44 home runs, 258 RBI and 98 steals in 553 games for the Phillies. In the 1980 Fall Classic, he helped erase a 4-0 deficit in Game 1 with a three-run homer and hit for a .304 average during the series. McBride won the 1974 National League Rookie of the Year Award and was selected to the 1976 NL All-Star team before being traded to the Phillies in 1977. Overall, he batted .299 in 1,071 games in his 11 major league seasons.
ABOUT RON REED: A right-handed pitcher for the Phillies from 1976-83, Reed ranks first among club relievers in all-time wins (54) and innings (763.0), second in strikeouts (519), third in games (449) and seventh in saves (90). He was also ranked among National League relief leaders in each of those categories during his Phillies tenure. Reed posted a 2.49 ERA from 1976-78 and logged more than 100.0 relief innings in each of those seasons, helping the club to three straight NL East titles. He also appeared in 21 postseason games with Philadelphia over one Division Series, five League Championship Series and two World Series, and posted a 1.69 ERA in the Fall Classic. Another impressive fact: Reed spent two seasons (1965-67) in the NBA before beginning his 19-year career in Major League Baseball.
Sunday, August 7 – Toyota Phillies Alumni Day: Salute to the 1980 World Champion Phillies before that day’s 1:35 p.m. game.
- Fans are encouraged to arrive to the ballpark early for this must-see on-field salute, as legends from the first world championship team in Phillies history take the field to be honored pregame! Toyota Phillies Wall of Famers and local alumni will also be participating.
- Highlights also include a ceremonial first pitch with 2022 Toyota Phillies Wall of Fame inductee Ron Reed, which will be caught by his teammate Bob Boone.
Toyota Phillies Alumni Weekend Legends (subject to change)
Bobby Abreu – Phillies Wall of Famer
Luis Aguayo – 1980 World Champion
Ruben Amaro, Jr. – 1980 (batboy) and 2008 World Champion (executive), and 1993 National League Champion
Larry Andersen – 1983 and 1993 National League Champion
Bob Boone – 1980 World Champion and Phillies Wall of Famer
Larry Bowa – 1980 World Champion and Phillies Wall of Famer
Warren Brusstar – 1980 World Champion
Marty Bystrom – 1980 World Champion
Steve Carlton – 1980 World Champion, Phillies Wall of Famer and Hall of Famer
Larry Christenson – 1980 World Champion
Chad Durbin – 2008 World Champion
Lee Elia – 1980 World Champion (coach)
Pat Gillick – 2008 World Champion (GM), Phillies Wall of Famer and Hall of Famer
Greg Gross – 1980 World Champion
Tommy Greene – 1993 National League Champion
John Kruk –1993 National League Champion and Phillies Wall of Famer
Mike Lieberthal – Phillies Wall of Famer
Greg Luzinski – 1980 World Champion and Phillies Wall of Famer
Garry Maddox – 1980 World Champion and Phillies Wall of Famer
Charlie Manuel – 2008 World Champion (manager) and Phillies Wall of Famer
Gary “Sarge” Matthews – 1983 National League Champion
Bake McBride – 1980 World Champion and 2022 Phillies Wall of Fame Inductee
Tim McCarver – 1980 World Champion
Mickey Morandini – 1993 National League Champion
Jamie Moyer – 2008 World Champion
Dickie Noles – 1980 World Champion
Ron Reed – 1980 World Champion and 2022 Phillies Wall of Fame Inductee
Pete Rose – 1980 World Champion
Dick Ruthven – 1980 World Champion
Juan Samuel – Phillies Wall of Famer
Kevin Saucier – 1980 World Champion
Mike Schmidt –1980 World Champion, Phillies Wall of Famer and Hall of Famer
Jim Thome – Phillies Wall of Famer and Hall of Famer
Milt Thompson – 2008 World Champion (coach) and 1993 National League Champion
Manny Trillo – 1980 World Champion and Phillies Wall of Famer
Del Unser – 1980 World Champion
George Vukovich – 1980 World Champion
Bob Walk – 1980 World Champion
Bobby Wine – 1980 World Champion (coach)