Versatile Rengifo ready to contribute in any way for Crew

4:08 PM UTC

PHOENIX -- Who’s at third base for the Brewers in the wake of a trade which sent the whole depth chart at the position to Boston?

This week brought the answer: .

Rengifo (pronounced rehn-HEE-foh) finalized a one-year Major League deal with the Brewers that guarantees $3.5 million. He can earn another $1.5 million in incentives, and the deal includes a $10 million mutual option for 2027. He signed his contract on Monday and was on hand Tuesday for the team’s first full-squad workout.

“I talked with [Christian] Yelich about what it’s like here, what is their thinking, and I love it,” Rengifo said. “I feel like I’m a part of this team, a part of this family. I’m going to enjoy it.”

The 28-year-old figures to become a front-runner to land the starting third-base job on Opening Day, as the Brewers traded away their entire depth chart at the hot corner to the Red Sox on Feb. 9 for left-handers Kyle Harrison and Shane Drohan and infielder David Hamilton.

Hamilton will remain in the mix, along with prospects like Jett Williams, Cooper Pratt, Brock Wilken and Luke Adams, but Rengifo’s big league experience makes him Plan A, according to multiple club sources who said the Brewers have had interest for several years.

Eighteen-year-old phenom Jesús Made, MLB Pipeline’s No. 3 overall prospect, is also in camp, but all indications are that the club wants him to get more seasoning at the upper levels of the Minor Leagues.

“I play short, second and third base and a couple of outfield [positions]. That’s part of my game,” Rengifo said. “I’m a player. I’ll be available to do my job every single time when I’m in the lineup.”

From 2022-24, Rengifo established himself as a very useful utility player, producing above-average offense while playing multiple positions. Unfortunately, Rengifo experienced a down 2025 season, going from a .754 OPS from 2022-24 to a .622 OPS last season in a career-high 147 games (he had never appeared in more than 127 games in a season before last year).

The biggest culprits in his decline were a jump in strikeout rate (up to 19.2 percent, his highest since 2021) and a decline in power. After slugging above .400 in each year from 2022-24, Rengifo’s slugging percentage dropped to .335 last season, the fourth-lowest mark among all qualified hitters.

Rengifo’s quality of contact, for what it’s worth, didn’t actually fall off, though. His barrel rate, hard-hit rate and average exit velocity were essentially the same as they had been the previous three seasons. That means there’s some hope that Rengifo, who will only be 29 next year, could find his previous form.

Rengifo’s skills are mostly still intact and even with the jump in strikeout rate, his whiff rate was largely the same. If the bounceback does happen, look for a 1.5-2-WAR player that fills an important utility role. When Rengifo was at his best with the Angels, he was one of their most valuable players and was constantly viewed as a trade target given his usefulness in many regards.

Now he’ll aim for his first taste of the postseason with a team riding three consecutive NL Central titles.

“They go to the playoffs every time and this is a fun group to watch them play,” Rengifo said. “It looks like a family.”