The A's Community Fund awards one scholarship each season to an undergraduate or graduate student that is majoring in journalism or broadcasting. This $5,000 scholarship is intended for qualified tuition or required expenses such as fees, books, supplies and equipment for courses of instruction at a qualified educational institution.
This scholarship has been established in memory of Bill King, long-time legendary Bay Area Sports Announcer. The purpose of this scholarship is to support a student who plans to pursue a career in journalism or broadcasting. Learn More about Bill King.
Student applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a full-time student in your sophomore, junior, or senior year and/or enrolled in a masters program at a college or university in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Prove financial need, as evidenced by expenses and offset by other scholarships, loans, grants and other sources of supplemental aid.
- Possess a minimum grade point average of 3.0.
- Show a demonstrated strong interest in pursuing a career in broadcasting or journalism.
There will be no discrimination of gender, race, or religion when choosing a successful scholarship recipient. The Selection Committee will not base its decision in any way on the employment status of an applicant or the employment status of the applicant’s parents/guardians. Immediate family members, relatives, and front office employees in association with the selection committee are not eligible for consideration of a scholarship.
Each student must submit the following information to complete this application:
- Complete the Bill King College Scholarship form.
- A 2-3 page essay explaining why you are a deserving Bill King Scholarship candidate taking into consideration academic achievement and career goals.
- Two letters of recommendations from non-relatives. One must be from a broadcast or journalism faculty member.
- Official transcript from each college attended.