The park featured an "L" shaped wooden grandstand with a peaked wooden roof. The position of the diamond was less than desirable for left handed batters, who had to directly face the afternoon sun as the plate occupied what is today the right field corner. Overflow fans from the bleacher-style seats around the infield were permitted to stand behind roped-off areas in the outfield, which caused understandable difficulties for outfielders attempting to spear fly balls. Bennett Park's total area sat on roughly half the acreage of Tiger Stadium. The left field fence bordered the alley along National (now Cochrane) Drive, and a large lumber mill occupied the property that is today Kaline Drive.
Much to the dismay of the Tigers' management, many fans watched the early Bennett Park games from "wildcat" bleachers, towering, teetering structures that were erected on the surrounding private property and operated by profit-minded locals. The concept started in the 1880s, and the rogue seating structures were actually defended in court by the city. The seats cost five or ten cents, depending on the relative "quality" of location and were often over 50 feet above ground.
Because of the city's strict "blue laws," baseball in Detroit and many other cities was forbidden on Sundays as ministers expected their congregations to spend Sundays in quiet reflection instead of at rambunctious baseball contests. James D. Burns, the owner that purchased the team from Vanderbeck in 1900, sidestepped the issue by hosting Sunday games on his own property in Springwells Township, just outside Detroit's city limits on Dix between Livernois and Waterman. Rowdy crowds packed the stands at Burns Park's makeshift field, with the first official Sunday game at Bennett Field not to come until 1907.
Legendary names like Ty Cobb, outfielder "Wahoo Sam" Crawford, Herman "Germany" Schaefer and manager Hughie Jennings piloted the Tigers of the early 20th century to several postseason appearances. Yet while the fervor for Tigers baseball continued to grow, the large, often rowdy crowds found themselves packed into a small stadium that could no longer sustain the wear and tear.