To be at the top of their game, Phils players practice daily, including doing drills by position. Did you know that there are exercises tailored to strengthen muscles used in each specific position? See below for fun exercises to strengthen your muscles and be big and strong like the players on the field.
Phillies Phitness tips and exercises were developed in conjunction with our physical therapy partner, NovaCare Rehabilitation. Please check with your physician before beginning any physical activity program.
It's important to warm up before exercising and get your heart pumping. Warming up can be fun though! Turn some music on and do some high knees or jumping jacks.
The most important thing is just to get your heart pumping and circulation up. You can check your circulation in a few ways. You can put your hand over your heart, take your index and middle fingers and place them on your wrist, slightly closer to your thumb. You can also feel your pulse by taking those some fingers and putting them on the side of your neck, just below your jawbone.
- Lunges - Take one step back and place your knee on the floor. Then bring your leg back to its original position. Now do the same with the other leg and repeat.
- Squats - With your legs shoulder width apart, bend your knees like you're sitting down and then rise to the starting position. For balance, keep your arms out. Be sure to keep your knees from going past your toes.
- Push Ups - With your hands on the ground shoulder width apart, start by keeping your body flat on the ground and then push your body up, keeping your back straight and core tight. If keeping your body straight is a challenge, try doing it with your knees on the ground.
- Mountain Climbers - In a push up position, bring one knee up to your chest, then extend your leg placing your foot back on the ground. Repeat with other leg.
Sometimes you don't have the right equipment to work out. You may not have the right amount of time either. Below are some exercises for ANY age that can still give you a good workout, in a short amount of time.
- Balloon Ball - This is a great game because it can be played indoors and outdoors and it's super simple. Get a balloon and a couple friends and keep hitting it back and forth. Whatever you do don't let it hit the ground! For an added challenge, add an extra balloon!
- Animal Races - Get a group of friends together and race like an animal. Each race, pick a different animal. Try frog, rabbit, or duck!
- Bubble Wrap Stomp - If you get something in the mail and there's bubble wrap inside, use it for a workout! Put it on the ground and jump on it until all the bubbles are popped. Use alternating feet or both!
- Popcorn Push Ups - Get a workout and eat a snack! Get a bowl of popcorn and put it on the ground. Then get in a push up position with your face above the popcorn. Lower yourself and stick out your tongue to eat a kernel. The more push-ups you do, the more popcorn you can eat!