The Nationals lost more than a game on Friday afternoon, as Starlin Castro suffered a broken right wrist while trying to make a diving play in the sixth inning.
Castro was sent for X-rays as the Nationals and Orioles concluded their suspended game from last Sunday, a 6-2 Washington loss.
Before the Nationals left the clubhouse for the regularly scheduled game at Camden Yards, Castro had been placed on the 10-day injured list.
“He’s pretty sore,” manager Dave Martinez said.
Castro will undergo a CT scan on Saturday, after which the Nationals hope to have a better idea of a timeline for his potential return.
Castro ranged to his left to make a stop on Bryan Holaday’s two-out grounder with runners on the corners in the sixth inning, but his momentum carried him to the ground, where he rolled on his right wrist. Castro couldn’t complete the play, which was ruled an infield single, but as the 30-year-old infielder got back on his feet, he winced as he held his wrist, clearly in pain.
Castro returned to the field for the top of the seventh, but he did not get a ball hit his way. Wilmer Difo pinch-hit for him in the bottom of the inning.
Durability has been a trademark for the four-time All-Star, who has appeared in more than 150 games in seven of the past nine seasons, including all 162 for the Marlins in 2019.
Luis García, the Nationals’ No. 2 prospect according to MLB Pipeline, was added to the 28-man roster from the taxi squad, going 2-for-5 with a two-run double in the No. 6 hole as the starting second baseman in the nightcap.
“He’s going to play second base for us,” Martinez said. “I liked his at-bats.”
Castro, who signed a two-year, $12 million contract with the Nationals in January, is slashing .283/.317/.467 with two home runs and four RBIs in 16 games this season.