Globe iconLogin iconRecap iconSearch iconTickets icon
The Official Site of the Atlanta Braves

Ballparks: 1871 - 2016

1871-1914

In their 44 seasons playing at South End Grounds, the Boston Red Stockings/Beaneaters/Braves won 13 league championships and one World Series. South End Grounds opened on May 16, 1871. A second deck was added in 1888 to accommodate crowds eager to see Boston's King Kelly and John Clarkson. Boston's first double-decked ballpark was also referred to as the Grand Pavilion.

In 1894, South End Grounds was destroyed by "The Great Roxbury Fire." The Boston club played at the Congress Street Grounds while South End Grounds was being rebuilt. After the fire, the new South End Grounds was smaller than its predecessor because the previous structure had been underinsured, and there was not enough money from the insurance claim to finance a new park of equal size with two decks. The most distinctive architectural feature was the spires atop the grandstand. Originally there were six, but the number was reduced to two when the park was rebuilt.

The Braves used Fenway Park to accommodate large crowds for a Memorial Day doubleheader in 1913 and the last two games of the 1914 World Series. The last game played at South End Grounds was on August 11, 1914. The Braves continued to play some home games at Fenway Park in 1915 until Braves Field was completed.

1915-1952
1953 - 1965
1966 - 1996
1997 - 2016